Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2006 1:44:33 PM EDT
I'm looking for info and photos of Beretta BM-59 and BM-62s in the USA.

I had a chance to shoot a new Australian International Arms (AIA) M-59 last year while overseas and I've been wanting to get one ever since.  
A U.S. company tried to import these last year, but our fine friends at the ATF said "NO!".

The AIA rifles are made at Pindad Arsenal in Indonesia on original Beretta tooling.  After Beretta ceased production in Italy, they sold the tooling to Pindad Arsenal, which at the time was run by the Dutch. They built tens of thousands of BM-59s for the Indonesian military.

The BM-59s use forged M1 Garand style receivers. The AIA rifles were absolutely beautiful!  The stocks are Teak wood.  I has a chance to shoot and then strip and clean these rifles.  The machining on the parts is as fine as any of my U.S. M1 Garands.  This is a photo of serial #00001.  We also had Serial #00002 at the range the same day.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I have owned one for several years. Really a nice and unappreciated rifle by many. I like it much better than the M14 or M1A series. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I have a B62.  Looks just like your picture except no bipod.  It has been a safe queen.  I don't even know how long I have had it,  maybe 7-8 years.  It is a very well balanced rifle.  I kind of laughed at all the arguements over the Springfield socom M1A,  thinking it has already been built (as the B62).  What are they worth now with 2 mags?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes, I have a B62.  Looks just like your picture except no bipod.  It has been a safe queen.  I don't even know how long I have had it,  maybe 7-8 years.  It is a very well balanced rifle.  I kind of laughed at all the arguements over the Springfield socom M1A,  thinking it has already been built (as the B62).  What are they worth now with 2 mags?

I know the owner of AIA and the American company that wanted to import them.  I told them it would be great competition for the Springfield Armory SOCOM rifle, especially if they put a synthetic stock on it.  They planned the first 2,000 rifles to have Teak wood stocks, which are awesome, but they were already planning their own SOCOM version.  Unfortunately, the ATF won't allow them to be imported. (Thanks guys!)  Personally, I like the BM-59 better than the M1A.  It uses the longer Garand receiver that seems to give a smoother recoil (longer stroke).  AIA and the importer thought they could retail around $1,100 USD, which would be great competition for the SOCOM.  

I saw that Reese Surplus www.reesesurplus.com has a few BM-59s and 62s listed for $1,695 -$1,800.   He had these for sale at Camp Perry last summer in the Springfield Armory hut.  They were interesting, but I didn't know enough about them at the time to make an informed decision, so I did not buy one.

I'd like to learn more about them and see some detailed pics of those that made it into the States, via Springfield Armory or other sources.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Do both the BM59 and BM62 use M14 magazines?  I seem to recall that one
of the models had proprietary mags that would not interchange but I'm unsure.

I can't remember but it seems like that killed the deal on one of these guns when
I looked at one back in the eighties.  The gun came with 6 mags and I wasn't sure where I'd
find anymore.  

These guns are rarely seen but I recall the one I looked at was a real quality looking piece.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Both the BM-59 and 62 use a proprietary magazine, developed by Beretta.  The magazines are incredibly robust devices with stainless-steel followers.  To my knowledge, the M14 mags will not work in these rifles.  I actually think the BM-59 mags are better.

The original BM-59 was nothing but a standard M1 Garand adapted to accept a detachable box magazine.  Eventually, the Italians shortened the barrel, stock and op rod to come up with the final version. They also fitted a grenade-launcher/flash hider and a grenade launcher sight that cut off the gas system when raised into the firing position.  It also had a bipod fitted as standard.  They retained the longer Garand receiver and bolt.  In reality, the BM-59 is not much different than a "Tanker" Garand with a detachable box magazine and chambered in 7.62x51.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#6]
My Beretta BM59 was a 30.06 cut down to 7.62 NATO. It uses very expensive magazines, ~$75 a piece last time I saw one ( and bought it!). The rifle is one bad mother. I love it and used to shoot it alot. It hasn't been out of the case, except to carress and stroke it, in a long time.

I'll post some pics!

This is my rifle, theres not many like it, but this one is mine.

Markings

The re-weld

Mag release

Mag views, Damn their expensive.

Fire Control Group

The Home Guard...just for fun

I think we need a BM59 forum

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My Barreta BM59 was a 30.06 cut down to 7.62 NATO. It uses very expensive magazines, ~$75 a piece last time I saw one ( and bought it!). The rifle is one bad mother. I love it and used to shoot it alot. It hasn't been out of the case, except to carress and stroke it, in a long time.

I'll post some pics sometime if you like.

I would like to see some pictures.  In particular, if you have close-up photos of the heal of the receiver and the stamped lettering.  You can block out the serial numbers if you wish, but I would like to see the stamps.  I'm curious about this because the guns that Reese Surplus had for sale all seemed to have different stamps.  No two were the same, which intrigued me.  Also, if they have barrel markings like the M1 Garands, I'd be interested to see those too.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My Beretta BM59 was a 30.06 cut down to 7.62 NATO. It uses very expensive magazines, ~$75 a piece last time I saw one ( and bought it!). The rifle is one bad mother. I love it and used to shoot it alot. It hasn't been out of the case, except to carress and stroke it, in a long time.

I'll post some pics!

This is my rifle, theres not many like it, but this one is mine.
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/hrsgrunner/BM59.jpg

Markings
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/hrsgrunner/BM59BARRELMARKINGS.jpg
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/hrsgrunner/BM59LEFTFRONTRECEIVER.jpg
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/hrsgrunner/BM59LEFTREARRECEIVER.jpg
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/hrsgrunner/BM59NOSERNUMB.jpg
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/hrsgrunner/BM59LEFTRECEIVER.jpg

The re-weld
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/hrsgrunner/BM59RECEIVERWELDTEXT.jpg

Mag release
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/hrsgrunner/BM59MAGRELEASE.jpg

Mag views, Damn their expensive.
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/hrsgrunner/BM59MAGREAR.jpg
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/hrsgrunner/BM59MAGRIGHTSIDE.jpg
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/hrsgrunner/BM59MAGTOPREAR.jpg
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/hrsgrunner/BM59MAGBOTTOM.jpg

Fire Control Group
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/hrsgrunner/BM59FCG.jpg

The Home Guard...just for fun
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c60/hrsgrunner/ASSAULTTEAM.jpg

I think we need a BM59 forum

Thanks HRSGRUNNER for the photos.  Yet another variation!  It appears that your BM-59 was a converted M1 Garand.  The Receiver is marked Beretta, but I've never before seen the markings on the side.  Normally they are on the receiver heel like the Garands and M14s.  Does the heel above the serial number show signs of grinding?  Judging by the serial number, you might have an original SA M1 Garand that was converted by Beretta.  If that's the case, it is a very early one. The reweld indicates that it was probably imported as a parts kit.  The reweld was probably done in the States by Golden State Arms Corp.  (Anybody have any info on them?). There is no need to shorten a Garand receiver as the BM-59 uses a regular Garand receiver (slightly modified). The barrel also appears to be from a Springfield Armory M1 Garand, which would again suggest a conversion from an SA M1.   The magazines are definately BM-59.  They are expensive, but extremely robust.  That's an unusual flash hider as well.  Very interesting piece.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#10]
No visable signs of grinding. The rifle is no where near flawless and used to be fired on a regular basis. It was found on a pawn shop wall for a smidge over $300 in 1985. My brother was the one to point out that it was a treasure to be had. Your not the first to comment on the flash hider...my old gun dealer friend demanded I "TAKE THAT OFF" but I liked it so it remains. No numbers match on it anywhere that I can find so I had always figured it was special put together by a 1950's franken gunner.

Thank you in return for filling in some info about it, I always wondered but got tired of asking. I have searched the net and read a little about BM's over the years but for the most part not alot of people knew much about it.

We need some real old timers to fill in the gaps.

Hey TDMAKER, That M4gery in the last photo has your free float on it, and I like it!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info on the mags.  I couldn't remember details from so long ago
but vaguely recalled the proprietary mags being the deal breaker back when I was
looking at a BM62 so long ago.
I got on the Reese website and they are expensive! It would make you think you're
still in the ban.
Awesome guns though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#12]
i dont know but the 62 imported by resee was spoused to have a limmited run of 35 made i recently found one for 2000 with 6 mags i bought it because its a very well thought of rifle with a good reputation
so yes i guess they have some value i saw some adds on Gun broker also that were in the 18 to 2000 range also when i got mine so 3-400  would be a steal
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a BM62 that is mostly made of Winchester parts. Well, Beretta did buy the tooling and all the extra parts after WWII, but I was surprised they still had so many parts left over to still be using them in 1980.

The best part is if I ever need a bolt a Garand bolt will do. In fact that’s what it came with, a Winchester bolt no less!  It really is a Garand with a few modifications and parts added to make it into a NATO compliant rifle. It’s what the M14 should have been and the rifle some are trying to imitate today, 50 years later.

I only have one magazine. The prices are scary. I’m still hoping Italian surplus will hit our shores one day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top