Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2006 7:41:41 AM EDT
anyone done this setup?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The military does...some of the M14's in Iraq use them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
About 2 years ago when Afghanistan was in progress, American Rifleman had some nice articles back then.  I specifically remember seeing one of the 101st Airborne soldiers using one.  I thougt it looked too high, but on the M14, there isn't much choice to get lower.  Plus I don't know if it's any higher than some of the regular scopes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The military does...some of the M14's in Iraq use them.

That's right, and soon they will be getting NSN 1005-01-535-4430.  It will make for a far better interface for the ACOG to go on the M14.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried it and its way too high.  Heres the setup, which now has a Leupy Mark4 3-9x36 in place.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:07:19 AM EDT
[#5]
THANKS YOU JUST SAVED ME SOME$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I tried it and its way too high.  Heres the setup, which now has a Leupy Mark4 3-9x36 in place.

shutter05.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/05/009/7F/F7/0D/CF/+ID6TKaGQHtLjoZ5aGC-QbOCneuVwdJ10300.jpg

====
The new ACOG/MIL STD 1913 NSN unit cited above sits much lower than that depicted here and that's why the new SEI mount been chosen by DLA.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]
 How the heck could anyone possibly use a rifle length stock with an ACOG and achieve proper eye relief ????

Not trying to be a wise guy, I just can't see it happening ?..??..
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]
How the heck could anyone possibly use a rifle length stock with an ACOG and achieve proper eye relief

I use 3 of them on rifle-length stocked FALs and have perfect eye relief.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

shutter05.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/05/009/7F/F7/0D/CF/+ID6TKaGQHtLjoZ5aGC-QbOCneuVwdJ10300.jpg

====
The new ACOG/MIL STD 1913 NSN unit cited above sits much lower than that depicted here and that's why the new SEI mount been chosen by DLA.  

Now you have me confused?  The mount in the pic is an SEI NSN mount.  SEI doesnt have any other mount for an ACOG that I know of, that gets it any lower?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

====

Now you have me confused?  The mount in the pic is an SEI NSN mount.  SEI doesnt have any other mount for an ACOG that I know of, that gets it any lower?

Now, now, calm down. Have some of this here SEI Kool-Aid and everything will be better.
That's what I thought when looking at the pic, whatever kind of mount it was it's obvious there's not much lowering to do before you run out of mount. I think the ACOGs being made with the AR in mind pretty much means it's destined to ride way high on an M14 type.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:35:29 AM EDT
[#11]
if you have a giant goard on your shoulders. you might be ok. I am sticking to a AIMPOINT MI2.
 on my bush rifle.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

====

Now, now, calm down. Have some of this here SEI Kool-Aid and everything will be better.
That's what I thought when looking at the pic, whatever kind of mount it was it's obvious there's not much lowering to do before you run out of mount. I think the ACOGs being made with the AR in mind pretty much means it's destined to ride way high on an M14 type.

--
The SEI NSN mount depicted above is not the new SEI ACOG/MIL STD 1913 NSN Mount Assembly, 1005-01-535-4430.  That new DLA-managed item is a completely different critter.  This new mount is the third SEI M14 scope mount to be assigned and NSN.  The new SEI ACOG mount allows the user to use either the MIL STD interface (which is detachable) or the dedicated ACOG-compatible component, which consitutes the mount itself.  The TA-51 MIL STD 1913 interface is not employed with this assembly.  Pics for the general public will be released after the SHOT Show and after ongoing contracts are concluded.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Is this one a different mount then?

GDI

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is this one a different mount then?

GDI

The GDI mount is entirely different from the new SEI NSN mount.   The Smith Ent mount is now the DLA-approved unit in the supply system.  However, a number of GDI mounts have been obtained commercially, most notably for 10th ID (MTN).  Those will go on weapons fitted with Sage ALCS stocks and SEI Vortex DC's and SEI GLFS's.    
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Ive see on this site somewhere an M1a with the TA55
not sure about its height though
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Regardless, ACOG's have no business on an M14.

M14's deserve this, and friends like M1 Garands!

You can however get away with an ACOG here!

But again they as well should be like this!

POINT IS, ITS ALL IN WHAT YOU WANT AND LIKE!  EVERYONE LIKES LOOKING AT PICTURES TO SEE WHAT THEY WANT.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
anyone done this setup?

Take a look at THIS
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
anyone done this setup?

Take a look at THIS

Still way too high.  I cant figure why this demand for short barrel M14's.  Each rifle has its place, but the M14 is not a CQB weapon.  Why didnt Ron Smith build the Crazy Horse with a short barrel?  And I'm sure you'll say he will if you ask, but he didnt!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
[
Still way too high.  I cant figure why this demand for short barrel M14's.  Each rifle has its place, but the M14 is not a CQB weapon.  Why didnt Ron Smith build the Crazy Horse with a short barrel?  And I'm sure you'll say he will if you ask, but he didnt!

I agree it's to high.

As for the short barreled Crazy Horse rifle - Ron Smith and company
have build many 18" Crazy Horse MK14 SEI rifles for the military.
These rifles are in high demand by our armed forces.

SEI also built a Crazy Horse MK14 for me ... LINK
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't care what kind of new mount is forthcoming for the M14, the ACOG will still sit too high.  It isn't possible to make any of the traditional 3 point mounts lower than they already are.  It's not unusual for people to have ejection problems with some of the current mounts that are out there, so the idea of making a mount that's even lower isn't an option.  Sure you can put an ACOG on an M14, but that doesn't make it a good fit.    
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By Doctor M14:
I don't care what kind of new mount is forthcoming for the M14, the ACOG will still sit too high.  It isn't possible to make any of the traditional 3 point mounts lower than they already are.  It's not unusual for people to have ejection problems with some of the current mounts that are out there, so the idea of making a mount that's even lower isn't an option.  Sure you can put an ACOG on an M14, but that doesn't make it a good fit.    

==
The undeniable fact is that the Services have already bought a good number of ACOGs (yes, even TA-55A's).  The funds have been commited and acquisitions have already been made.  You can't unring the bell.  Therefore: (1) Given the presence of these ACOG 7.62mm scopes in the inventory and (2) the reality that the M14 will continue to serve for the foreseeable future (XM-110 notwitstanding), an interface was deemed a highly desireable commodity to have in the inventory.  

I'll admit that a "conventional" scope is prefereable on the M-14 for a host of reasons (economic, ergonomic and mission flexability), but the facts remain as stated above.  The new SEI M14 ACOG NSN mount is about as good a fix as one can expect, given these realities.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top