Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 7:08:25 AM EDT
For my Garand, I have seen the cleaning rod handle referred to as a M10 tool.  Does anyone know what tool funtions it can do?  I was lucky and found about three in my parts box.

I think the large flat screwdriver end is for the gas screw and maybe the butt screws.  Is the small tab on the other end for anything special or just a small screwdriver?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Aside from being a cleaning rod handle, It can be used as a screw driver for the various screws and for removing/installing the gas cylinder plug. It can also be used to strip/assemble the bolt.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:59:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Any details on how it can assist in stripping of the bolt?  I remove my extractor by using a flat bladed screwdriver  then assemble it with a rap from a gunsmith type plastic hammer.  Does the M10 assist in stripping the bolt by simply providing a flat bladed screwdriver?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used the  m10 tool to strip the bolt (while still in the receiver) in my m1a and did so as follows..
Make  sure the rifle is unloaded!!  (duh he
2. thread a section of cleaning rod into the  middle of the tool

3.  while applying slight forward pressure on the oprod handle and bolt, rotate the tool up (counterclockwise if the muzzle is pointed away from you)

4. pay attention because your extractor should jump out as you do this.  

You can now remove the  spring and plunger from the bolt.  Take care of the firing pin as it will slide from the back of the bolt  into the trigger assy. or reciever.  That was the easy part, the hard part is to put it back together.  In my m1a i just use .30-06 brass to compress the springs and pop the extractor back in while making sure the firing pin is where its supposed to be.   Someone may know a an easier re-assymbly method for the garand
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top