Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 1:29:22 PM EDT
I bought one of those modified Boyd's M1 Garand stock sets through the CMP a few months ago.  I sanded & stained it already and today was the first time I went shooting with it. The stock split! Not even one enbloc through the rifle.  
There are two cracks running the length of the bottom of the forearm, one which runs all the way past the action, grip and ends halfway into the comb. The stock is basically in 2 halves. Nothing happened to the rifle, no bulges in the barrel or anything. I don't understand how this could happen?
Think it would it still be possible to get a refund/replacement? Who should I contact, Boyd's or the CMP?

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I would give them both a call and offer to send them the pictures as well. I am no expert on wood but it looks like maybe the graining was flawed looking at how it split.

Karsten
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
CMP will take care of it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I do remember reading over on the jouster forum, Somebody posted a pic of boyds stock and showed areas that needed to be corrected/fit,to acheive proper fit. one of the areas mentioned in the post and on the pic was the area in front of the floorplate, if this is too tightly fitted in the stock, the stock will split,during firing, there should be some relief in the area in front of the floorplate, not much, just enough that light could be seen between the front of the floorplate and the stock. I don't know if this the case here, just a thought. How tight was the floorplate fit in the stock??
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like that might be the case. There are rub marks from the floorplate in the corners.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks repairable. Epoxy, maybe a pin, and then glass bed the receiver.

I'd ask Boyd's for a refund or replacement first, although if it's been a long time or if the floorplate wasn't inletted properly, you may be out of luck.

The CMP didn't sell you the stock, they don't have any obligation.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Rodent

While the stocks are Boyd's production, if they're the batch I'm thinking of, they were made for,marketed and sold by the CMP.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Rodent

While the stocks are Boyd's production, if they're the batch I'm thinking of, they were made for,marketed and sold by the CMP.

Yeah, it's from that batch. I emailed the CMP the other day, told them what happened, and sent pictures. I asked them if it's possible to get a replacement or if I should contact Boyd's about it.

Here's the reply I got:

yeah I know. You can look at them if you come down here today. It split
pretty bad.

Lynne Williams
CMP South

Nevermind, she said emailed the wrong person.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#8]
WOW!!

Never seen a stock split like that without having a real BOOM happen.

Good thing you still have 10 fingers!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top