Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 4:48:03 PM EDT
How reliable is it? Compared to the AK47, AR15, Garand, etc.
What about accuracy?
How good are the iron sights? Are they better than the AR?
Anything else a newbie-to-M1A's should know?

I was going to get a Garand, but I decided I'll get an M1A instead.  I want to do a build it yourself thing, which I assume will be cheaper, and allows me to get USGI parts.  About how much would you guys estimate it would cost to go the build it yourself route?  I don't want anything fancy.  Just iron sights and something that works and is decently accurate.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]

someone pointed this out to me earlier in a similar thread I started:

www.m-14forum.com/

I'm still going thru it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What about accuracy?

I was going to get a Garand, but I decided I'll get an M1A instead.  I want to do a build it yourself thing, which I assume will be cheaper, and allows me to get USGI parts.  About how much would you guys estimate it would cost to go the build it yourself route?  I don't want anything fancy.  Just iron sights and something that works and is decently accurate.

It's my main squeeze.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It's my main squeeze.

Is there something in that selector cut?  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's my main squeeze.

I liked "Reptilian Alien Defense SHTF M1A"

Quoted:

Visit my web page I have links to 4 other M14/M1A forums, Different's M1A site and more.

My main squeeze ~

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's my main squeeze.

Is there something in that selector cut?  

Not for that receiver but there would be if I used the full auto receiver.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What about accuracy?

DON"T go with the build it yourself thing. Start pricing USGI parts first, then quickly realize you are MUCH better off looking for an older SA with mostly all GI parts. You will be much happier.
I just bought my first M1A about 2 months ago. SA ALL USGI parts, 5 GI mags, very low round count, nice wood, Preban, plus almost 1K of ammo for it for $1250. GI parts alone would have run 800 to 1000 EASY from what I have already seen if I had to buy them. [Maybe more, ask Different, he would know] Plus you would have to buy all the tools to set it up. I doubt you would save a dime in the end and you would spend a lot of time trying to find parts also, not to mention bidding on some of them, losing, and trying all over.

No it's not BETTER then a GOOD AR, but it is different, was designed for a different kind of war and still works very well. Remember, it's a Main battle rifle, not an Assault rifle, they are quite another beast. I like em. A good one seems to hold it's value quite well also.

Oh and Different, thats an UGLY M1A!!!!! Send it to me for disposal immediately to save your eyesight, I'll take a chance with mine.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:16:27 AM EDT
[#7]
It is built for a different purpose than the M16/AR15.

At 300 meters, 7.62 still retains more ft/pds energy than 5.56 does at the muzzle.  I've personally observed 7.62 rds that punch thru 10x10 wooden railroad ties at 500 meters like they were Buttah -- Buttah I tell ya!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:06:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've personally observed 7.62 rds that punch thru 10x10 wooden railroad ties at 500 meters like they were Buttah -- Buttah I tell ya!

Nothing personal, friend:

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've personally observed 7.62 rds that punch thru 10x10 wooden railroad ties at 500 meters like they were Buttah -- Buttah I tell ya!

I hear you, but I hung the target at 500m, shot it, and saw the exit holes when I examined the target.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear you, but I hung the target at 500m, shot it, and saw the exit holes when I examined the target.

When I first got my Scout I set up a steel plate @ 75 yards.
I made sure an 18" live oak was directly between the target and me.
Every round of Porto ball ammo passed through the tree and hit steel.

The rounds went through the tree like it was “Buttah”
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Way too many variables concerning bullet penetration in wood to get into a dick wagging contest about it. I've been surprised both ways when it comes to what bullets, big and small, will and will not penetrate. I will say the whole "turns cover into concealment" line is getting a bit overused by some of us 7.62 fans. It's not like comparing a .22LR to a .50 BMG. If you go for the 7.62 for its ability to turn cover into concealment, good luck carrying enough ammo to make up for needing several rounds to punch thru obstacles that our beloved round didn't go through like "buttah."

Oh yeah , to address the original questions.
1. Of the designslisted, only the AK can top it for reliability. And they're all at the level it's more theoretically important than anything.
2. Depends on the build. From sniper worthy match grade builds  to rack grades that still shoot better than most of us.
3. Awesome sights. Best of any military rifle fielded, including the AR/M16 family.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top