Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 5:06:27 AM EDT
I am going to show my ignorance but I am a FNG to M1a's.  I have a USGI rifle and I put it on a USGI synthetic stock.

Are they any benefits to doing some pseudo bedding to the rear of the receiver.  Or is all a waste of time unless you are using a two lug rcvr and a better stock?  I am not a sub MOA shooter with iron sites, so I would think it is moot.

I am not in hurry, just curious.  I have some plans to the do the following as I am pretty well equpied at work to make things in composite and have access to our machine shop.

So far I plan to take a USGI stock and line the front half with carbon fiber after I attach one small rail and a bipod mount, I do not know if the USGI is stiff enough for the bipod but it will be when I done.

I plan to either chop 1.5" or completely cut, bed a mount and add a folding stock.  Not decided yet.  I am basically going to get 2 or 3 stocks from Freds and go to town until I get it right.  With the good stocks on the market going 450-650 I have a lot of room for mistakes and I don't plan on making any.

I just have not addressed the bedding, was not a concern but now I think I should consider it.

Basically I would be happy with my own copy of the new MFS-14  Only less railage, I not hooked on the uber tactical rail movement yet.  All those rails would make me have to buy a lot more accessories (lasers, lights and night vision) and I need to work on my day time iron site shooting before I worry about all that.  Further, if I really needed all that I would most likely hang it on an AR so the package would be 10 or 15 lbs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top