Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 8:54:20 AM EDT
I have just mounted a Truglo red dot sight on my SOCOM-16. I am using the Truglo temporarily until I can afford another Aimpoint. The Truglo mount is similar to the mount system on the Trijicon ACOG made for the A3 flattop AR rifle. It has 2 side plates (one on each side of the optic's base) pulled together by 2 crossbolts that sit in the grooves of the rifles picatinny rail. Having explained that, my problem is that when I attempted to complete a rough sighting in, I ran out of elevation adjustment. My rough sight-in procedure is to insert my Laser Aim device into the barrel with the appropriate .30 cal. o-rings. I then project the laser dot on a wall approx. 25 feet away and adjust the optics till the laser projected POI is about 1 inch and centered above the optic's red dot. Then I go shoot and make final adjustments. This system usually works great however as I stated I ran out of elevation adjustment on the optic. My remedy, and here is where you learned folks can give me your opinion, was to position the optic on the picatinny rail of the rifle so that the optic's front mounting cross bolt sat down into the groove in the picatinny rail and the rear mount cross bolt sat on top of the picatinny rail. This allowed the optic to be shimmed up in the back so to speak and I was able to rough zero the red dot. The front of the optic sits down on the picatinny rail as it is supposed to. The rear of the optics side plates that grip the sides of the picatinny rail are gripping at least 1/16 of an inch and maybe between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch. The mounting bolts tightened down good and I don't think I could knock the optic loose with a hammer. Should I leave it mounted as is or should I remount the optic using a shim down in the groove in the picatinny rail to allow more grip on the rear of the optic's side plates. The side plates that are drawn together by the cross bolts run the entire length of the base of the optic. Sorry to be so wordy. I wanted to paint an accurate picture of the situation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top