Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 4:29:20 PM EDT
Ok,

I want a M1 Carbine bad!  I dont know why though, it was a horible rifle and a horible round for the most part.

I'd like to get a genuine USGI one but I have been unable to find one in the condition I'm looking for, at a price I'm willing to pay.  So I'm considering getting a new production one from Kahr/Auto Ordanance.  Here's my Questions?

1.)  How are the Auto Ordanance for quality?

2.)  How close are they to the USGI ones?

I would definately make sure I ordered one with the walnut stock and not the birch stock.  Now that moves me to my next set of questions.

3.)  Will USGI parts interchange with the Auto Ordanance? All parts? how about a USGI stock?

4.)  What is the correct bayonet lug/barrel band that fits the Auto Ordanance M1 Carbine?  I see that Fulton Armory sells 3 or four differant types.  If I get a M1 Carbine I want the bayonet lug on it to make it look right.

Thanks for your help on this.

Target
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
1.   Some people have had trouble, some not.   Mine has been flawless for about a year and a half, with a couple of thousand rounds through it.

2.   They are completely compatible with USGI carbine parts.   I have a spare Underwood bolt for it that fits and functions well, as well as a USGI carbine sling, oiler, and bayonet.   Kahr states they are manufactured to USGI tolerances.

3.  (see above)

4.  Type 3, I believe, is the correct barrel band.

Overall, I've been really happen with mine - to the point of considering a second one, actually.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok,

I want a M1 Carbine bad!  I dont know why though, it was a horible rifle and a horible round for the most part.

Target

You learned this, where?

www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot8.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Carbine
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think it's a horrible rifle or round either.  Would you say a .357 magnum is a horrible round?  Well, this has very similar ballistics, although it's on the ligher end of things.  I bet many of the enemy fell to the carbine.  There were alot used in combat, even though the garand was king.  It was meant to replace / supplement the pistol, I think it exceeded it's mission.

However, I have no experience with the auto ordnance but my dad and I were looking at those when we bought our carbines.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I had an auto-ordnance pistol which was a serious POS.  But, I'm not sure if you can compare the pistols to the carbines....

Also I think you've bought into barracks tales on the carbine.  A lot of people compared it to the M1 garand which, if you take that comparison the carbine will fall woefully short.

However, as it has already been noted the .30 carbine round will have the same ballistic "punch" at 100 yards as a .357 magnum does at the muzzle.  Which, is quite effective.

Its a remarkably light, handy and reliable rifle that has a decent punch.  In fact, if you want to know how effective it was the Wehrmact actually gave it the designation of Selbstladekarabiner 455(a) and reissued it wholesale.  From the few WWII Wehrmact and other vets I've spoken to they had very positive things to say about the M1 carbine.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I had an Auto-Ord pistol in the early 80's that ran just fine.

A friend that was in SE Asia in the early 60's with the 1st SF Group loved the way the carbine handled, but didn't feel the cartridge was effective as a combat round. Seems he put 5 or six rds in a guy's back from short range, and the guy kept on running for over a 1/4 mile before expiring.

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive M1 Carbine for my G/F, whom is very petite, and our respective kids to learn on.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok,

Target

You learned this, where?

www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot8.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Carbine

Big plus 1
Bad rifle?
Hell no - very simple, very reliable.
Compare a M1 Carbine trigger group to an M1 rifle trigger group.
Bad round?
It was not meant to be a battle rifle.
It does the job it was designed to do very, very well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top