Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 7:23:23 PM EDT
How can I check to see if the parts are US GI surplus parts?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's a brand new model, very few, if any parts will be USGI.  

On the other hands, it's not the end of the world, since they corrected the cast bolt problem, and you should only need to change out the extractor when it breaks (if it's one of the casted units).  

If you just have to have a major USGI parts gun, then it time to find a pre-ban safe queen that was seldom short (built back when they had mostly USGI parts).
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The M1 and M14 (M1A daddy) were Designed , blueprinted, and spec'd to be
made of Forged ,Machined parts.

No commercially sold M14 type meets these requirements.
A good forged receiver and mostly USGI parts build is possible if you hunt around.

The Fulton Armory guns are the closest thing in complete rifles.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:16:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you just have to have a major USGI parts gun, then it time to find a pre-ban safe queen that was seldom short (built back when they had mostly USGI parts).

That's what I did, and I found one at a very reasonable price in like new condition that was made in 1993, right before the ban.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

A good forged receiver and mostly USGI parts build is possible if you hunt around.

No,The LRB is closest to G.I. spec.The Fulton still uses a cast receiver.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#5]
i just picked up a  loaded standard for 950 that was made in 1988, its in remarkable shape

how can i tell if it has some USGI parts?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No,The LRB is closest to G.I. spec.The Fulton still uses a cast receiver.

+1!  And LRB is MUCH quicker on delivery than fulton.  Better yet, have one of the quality 'smiths around the internet take care of it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
OOPs , forgot about LRB

Don't know anything about quality of their assembled rifles though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#8]
not to highjack...but i have been looking for a barrel for YEARS. closest i came was a GI parts kit on ebay. ended up going for $1400. anyone know where ot get a GI barrel?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]
parts are available from sarco
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
parts are available from sarco

SARCO
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#11]
The only thing USGI on the [cough]SOCOM[/cough] I had was the TRW trigger group
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a new Springfield M1A and don't worry about it!

Casting technology has come a long way, some testing has proved it is stronger than forgings.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
not to highjack...but i have been looking for a barrel for YEARS. closest i came was a GI parts kit on ebay. ended up going for $1400. anyone know where ot get a GI barrel?

Jeez, guy at one of the shows I attend ALWAYS has some very low TE BBLs, usually .5 to 1.5 all USGI chromed and he usually has several makers. $275.00
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:41:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Casting technology has come a long way, some testing has proved it is stronger than forgings.

What is the source of your info regarding castings stronger than forgings? Very interesting.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:16:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Unless you're planning on going into battle, buy a new Springfield and just have fun shooting.  If you're buying for pride of ownership, then you might have to spend a few $ to gather up the USGI parts right now.  If you're buying for collector value, you would be wasting your money because there is none.  They are damn fine rifles--I have stopped using a Garand at club CMP matches and gone to the M1A.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:28:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

And that was luck!  I bought a MA9103 ("special" GI edition they had a couple years ago) because it had "more" USGI parts.  It has an SAK barrel. Everything else was commercial (replaced of course).  NO new SA's have USGI parts that I'm aware of.

R
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:29:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And that was luck!  I bought a MA9103 ("special" GI edition they had a couple years ago) because it had "more" USGI parts.  It has an SAK barrel. Everything else was commercial (replaced of course).  NO new SA's have USGI parts that I'm aware of.

R

The "replacement" SOCOM had a H&R trigger group
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:30:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is the source of your info regarding castings stronger than forgings? Very interesting.  
Thanks.

www.sfsa.org/sfsa/pubs/cvf/ecs.html

I also have an article that was in one of the gun magazines that I will try to find.

Are castings any good? .......Think Ruger
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is the source of your info regarding castings stronger than forgings? Very interesting.  
Thanks.

www.sfsa.org/sfsa/pubs/cvf/ecs.html

I also have an article that was in one of the gun magazines that I will try to find.

Are castings any good? .......Think Ruger

...and Caspian
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#20]
FYI - Casting vs forgings -

http://www.swscc.com/informational/info_cast_vs_forged.htm.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
FYI - Casting vs forgings -

www.swscc.com/informational/info_cast_vs_forged.htm

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#22]

NO new SA's have USGI parts that I'm aware of.

I purchased a NIB SA Standard just prior to Christmas, and the trigger group was USGI - HR.

Got lucky I guess...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

NO new SA's have USGI parts that I'm aware of.

I purchased a NIB SA Standard just prior to Christmas, and the trigger group was USGI - HR.

Got lucky I guess...

The SOCOM I had was purchased on 9/11/05 was the TRW trigger
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#24]
The answer to the question of how can I tell if my M1A has GI parts...

markings of SA (Springfield Armory) , 66118 (Winchester), TRW, HR on operating rods,
barrels, bolts and trigger groups are all indicators that you have GI parts.

The USGI Springfield oprod will have 7267062 SA on it , on the SA Inc oprod SA is on line separate
from the number

The Gas Cylinders are harder to tell, their are pictures on the web somewhere that show the difference between cast gas cylinder and GI forged, but I dont have them bookmarked.

The GI parts that you want to have in my opinion are
Trigger Group
Bolt
Operating Rod
Gas Cylinder
Rear Sight assembly
Front Sight (if you are going for a service rifle clone)

The barrel can be GI or one of the Smith enterprises barrels
For your operating rod spring guide and gas piston , get Sadlak
If you are doing a crazy horse build get a Smith gas lock front sight and Vortex

Stock, get one of Fred's cheap fiberglass stocks and spray paint it.

And you might as well get the other small parts as GI surplus as they can all be had for reasonable.

Link to info on identifying USGI bolts

Check some of the other forums out there, when I built up my M1A with all Winchester I was able to scour the internet and find alot of info on parts ID for the M14 out there.

There is actually a book online somewhere.... has everything in it....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top