Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 5:35:24 PM EDT

I picked this up from a pawn shop today ...

Can anyone help with some history ????

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice carbine! A winner all the way. Looks as though it is a Korean War re-build, because of all the late model features on it. The parking makes it look like a Korean return, does it say "Blue Sky" or Arlington Arms on it anywhere? On the side of ther barrel? Don't let that bother you any...its a beauty and is worth around $500 plus...oops because it's a Rock-ola, might be worth alot more?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet little War Baby

Check thisSerial Number  link out armscollectors.com/srs/lookup_m1c.php

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#3]

You guys and your pawn shop finds!!!  That is an excellent rifle no matter how much you paid!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]
cool, all you need now is the correct oiler!  

edited cuz I cant spell
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice carbine.  I just shot mine today!!!!!  But mine is a standard products.  And you sir, need an oiler.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow nice carbine :)

I just picked up a Rockola as well . Its a rebuild just like yours . Its the one on the top

What did it set you back if you dont mind ? Mine was $600 .  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I just picked up a Rockola as well . Its a rebuild just like yours . Its the one on the top

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/2133both_good.jpg

Hey guys... Whats an oiler ??
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

25.00 bucks???? bullshit!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your Kidding I hope .

An oiler actually fits in the stock cut out and holds the sling in plave .  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#10]
AWESOME JUKEBOX.

I am jealous as hell.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I picked this up from a pawn shop today ...

Can anyone help with some history ????

Great find!

I once picked up a WW-II bring-back Inland, but nothing like that Rock-Ola

I have the books with the data on what parts belong with what at home.  If you'd like, IM or better, e-mail me any markings, etc, you have on it and I'll see what I can pull up for you.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Holly shit that is a smoken deal.  Did they have any more?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I miss my Rock Ola.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll give you an oiler if you tell me which local shop you got that from.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Under the buttstock.

Under the handguard.

On the left side of the bbl under the handguard. I had to use a pencil to make the stamp show up.

I have gone ove this rifle with a flashlight and these are the last 3 stamps I can find.

Believe me... I do not run across many deals for whatever reason...  I just lucked out on this ONE...

Holly shit that is a smoken deal. Did they have any more?

If there would have been 10 there they would all be in my new safe by now. I only say new safe because I would've had to buy another one .......
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#17]
An oiler is a tube that fits in the back of the stock that the gi sling wraps around.  Yours is rigged right now.  But for crying out loud, you got the deal of the century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, here's what I have from the photos I've seen so far.

First off, very nice Carbine!  I'm jealous.  It should be a late-war Rock-Ola that was subsequently arsenal rebuilt at some point.  It is in one of Rock-Ola's later serial number ranges.

So, here's the parts I could identify from the photos:

The rear sight appears to be original.
The bolt may or may not be correct.  It's the correct type, but would want Rock-Ola stamped on it somewhere.  When you get it out, check the firing pin.  They stamped those as well!

The barrel appears to be correct.  Rock-Ola stopped stamping dates on their barrels starting in 6/43.

I can't tell the front sight from the photos.

The front band is not original.  It's actually an Inland and Rock-Ola never made any with bayonet lugs, as far as anyone knows.

I don't believe the Operating Slide is original to the carbine.  It's a Type 3 and you should have Type 4.  Check it for stamps, though.  They usually put them inside the belly of the opslide.

The trigger housing appears to be correct.  It should be the stamped type with some brass brazings on it in places.

The safety and magazine catch are not original to the rifle, nor is the stock.  The stock looks like a pot belly stock to me.  Check the left side of the stock where the receiver fits in for a relieved part where a selector would go.

The handguard is from the Inland Division of General Motors.

You want an oiler stamped with IR on it if you can find one!  

Hope this helps.  Almost every part on the Carbine is stamped somewhere.  Some of them, you have to really disassemble it to find them.  Hammer, firing pin, sear, etc.  Even the buttplates are identifiable!  A Rock-Ola would be missing a diamond at the 3 o'clock position by the screw countersink.  Seriously.

Hope all this helps, and congratulations on your find!

Cheers,

kk7sm

ETA:  On second glance at the photos, I can see the selector cut-out clearly visible on the stock.  That cut was put in the stocks so they could use the same stock on the M2 Carbines with the go-fast parts.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Well, here's what I have from the photos I've seen so far.

First off, very nice Carbine!  I'm jealous.  It should be a late-war Rock-Ola that was subsequently arsenal rebuilt at some point.  It is in one of Rock-Ola's later serial number ranges.

So, here's the parts I could identify from the photos:

The rear sight appears to be original.
The bolt may or may not be correct.  It's the correct type, but would want Rock-Ola stamped on it somewhere.  When you get it out, check the firing pin.  They stamped those as well!

The barrel appears to be correct.  Rock-Ola stopped stamping dates on their barrels starting in 6/43.

I can't tell the front sight from the photos.

The front band is not original.  It's actually an Inland and Rock-Ola never made any with bayonet lugs, as far as anyone knows.

I don't believe the Operating Slide is original to the carbine.  It's a Type 3 and you should have Type 4.  Check it for stamps, though.  They usually put them inside the belly of the opslide.

The trigger housing appears to be correct.  It should be the stamped type with some brass brazings on it in places.

The safety and magazine catch are not original to the rifle, nor is the stock.  The stock looks like a pot belly stock to me.  Check the left side of the stock where the receiver fits in for a relieved part where a selector would go.

The handguard is from the Inland Division of General Motors.

You want an oiler stamped with IR on it if you can find one!  

Hope this helps.  Almost every part on the Carbine is stamped somewhere.  Some of them, you have to really disassemble it to find them.  Hammer, firing pin, sear, etc.  Even the buttplates are identifiable!  A Rock-Ola would be missing a diamond at the 3 o'clock position by the screw countersink.  Seriously.

Hope all this helps, and congratulations on your find!

Cheers,

kk7sm

ETA:  On second glance at the photos, I can see the selector cut-out clearly visible on the stock.  That cut was put in the stocks so they could use the same stock on the M2 Carbines with the go-fast parts.

They made adjustable rear sights during the war??  I thought they were all flip up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh, and just to join the Carbine photo crowd, my poor Inland, along with a Luger my cousin's dad got off some Luftwaffe pilot he shot down.  He was air defense artillery, so it wasn't as hard as chasing him down in an airplane!

ETA:  The oiler is that silver metal thing in the stock towards the butt there.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
They made adjustable rear sights during the war??  I thought they were all flip up.

They were introduced around the end of 1943 or beginning of 1944.  It's unclear from the documentation available the exact date, but Inland started using them around S/N 5,000,000 and my 5,038,8XX with a Type II was made in early 1944.  According to Riesch, "The Type II and III rear sights were introduced about the same time and were used interchangeably, depending on availability."

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were introduced around the end of 1943 or beginning of 1944.  It's unclear from the documentation available the exact date, but Inland started using them around S/N 5,000,000 and my 5,038,8XX with a Type II was made in early 1944.  According to Riesch, "The Type II and III rear sights were introduced about the same time and were used interchangeably, depending on availability."

Cheers,

kk7sm

AAAAAHHH, thanks for clearing that up.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
cool, all you need now is the correct oiler!  

edited cuz I cant spell

And a juke box!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice rifle.

Max
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I've seen Rock-Ola carbines priced from $750 (a beat up gun) to $1000.  The one for a thousand I saw at a gun show looked like yours. No, wait... yours looks better.

You got an exceptionally good deal on your carbine. I looked at an average condition Plainfield at a pawn shop today going for $250.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#26]
 I appreciate the great replies guys !! Special thanks to kk7sm for taking the time to do the legwork for me.

I was sent an email by a Gentleman from another site that has 4 "like new" ROCK-OLA 15 round mags !!! Should I scoop them up or should I not worry as long as I buy USGI mags ??

I truly am pleased at the deal I stumbled across, this is an isolated inscident but I'll take what I can get
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#27]
If it were me, I'd get them.

Quoted:
 I appreciate the great replies guys !! Special thanks to kk7sm for taking the time to do the legwork for me.

I was sent an email by a Gentleman from another site that has 4 "like new" ROCK-OLA 15 round mags !!! Should I scoop them up or should I not worry as long as I buy USGI mags ??

I truly am pleased at the deal I stumbled across, this is an isolated inscident but I'll take what I can get

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#28]
You're welcome!

Send me one of those Rock-Ola magazines.  

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a Rock-Ola magazine in a bin of mags, and I check the stamps when I'm out.  If I were you, I'd grab 'em.  The GI mags were interchangable, just like these days, so if you were issued a Rock-Ola carbine, your chances of being issued a Rock-Ola mag with it were the luck of the draw, but just the fact they are jukebox magazines makes them desireable, and they'd go really well with your jukebox carbine.  

Cheers,

kk7sm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top