Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 4:00:55 PM EDT

The stock was the sweetest thing on this abortion called a Garand. It was beautiful matching new wood indeed.

The receiver markings were poor quality, hard to read and looked like a 3 year old with a Dremel tool did them. The gas cylinder was some cheap pot metal that had bad texture and finish, as was the forward sling hook.

This one was a .308, so it had a block with a pin into the receiver holding it below the feed ramp, it really didnt look like it would stand the test of time.

And then I cycled the slide. It sounded like it already had sand down inside it, and there was serious metal to metal grinding sound.

There is no way in hell I would pay $1200 to own this thing, hell I think it would be robbery at half that price. It may look like a Garand, but I would pay 2000 for a rack grade before I paid 1200 for this NIB copy.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]

I don't know why anybody would pay that kind of money for a repro when you can buy
a " real " Garand that has been overhauled for the same money or less .

The new Garands don't give you that warm , fuzzy feeling that comes from the " ghosts " .
If you own a real  one , you know what I mean .
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you own a real  one , you know what I mean .

I do & I do. I did a CMP North Store review in the Team Forum.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll never understand the reasoning behind buying one of those things...one could get a correct grade rifle from the CMP and be wayyy ahead money wise,and in every other aspect, lifetime warranty or not. I've got 2 M1's from the CMP. You could'nt give 10 of those abortions for either one of my rifles.. But, I guess the old saying applies here, "A fool and his money are soon parted"
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Strange question...but why are the new Garands called "abortions"?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Strange question...but why are the new Garands called "abortions"?

Abortion-----> Didnt make it to be a baby

This rifle------> Didnt make it to be a Garand

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Because compared to any decent shooting "Real" M1 (CMP rifles) they are..They are overpriced fakes made with out-of spec cast receivers, and worn or worn out reparked parts. The "abortion" part is a rather rude slang term...To put it mildly they are not well received by the M1 community,and probably never will be.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I know alot of people that won't buy used firearms because they are worried about how they were treated, and if they are worn-out.  I don't agree with them of course, and my 4.25mil Springfield has become my favorite gun within a week of ownership.  Its my first USGI firearm, and was bought via the CMP (CMP ROCKS WOO HOOO).

Just my .02

Steve L.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Call me a purist if you want but Springfield Armory Inc is not the Real Springfield Armory, even if SA, Inc claims to been around since 1794

Get your Garands from the CMP  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Junk is junk. CMP is the best way to buy an M1.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't know why anybody would pay that kind of money for a repro when you can buy
a " real " Garand that has been overhauled for the same money or less .

It's pretty simple... they don't know any better. When I first started getting the bug, I looked at them until I asked the advice of members here. I ended-up going with the M1A instead, but if I were to buy an M1 I'd definitely go the CMP route knowing what I now know. But not everyone consults some internet commando's before they buy something.

Also, before you guys "educated" me, it was my thought that a brand new, unfired rifle would be a better bet than a surplus, well-used one. It all makes sense in theory, but not in practice. And that's a real bummer and a shame. Yeah, there's something to be said for buying something that may have actually been used in WWII, but all things being equal -- a NEW firearm SHOULD be superior to an old, used one in every way. That's just common sense. Unfortunately, it's all about saving a dollar in production costs. I'm not big in notstalgia, so IF a new M1 was as good as a surplus one, then I'd rather own the new one. That way, I would know its entire history and any wear on the weapon would be wear that was put on there by ME. That's just the way I am...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top