Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 1:51:05 AM EDT
i am extemly pissed off about this situation!!!! i just bought a Springfield Armory M1A. i bought the "ARMS #18 M21/14 Scope Mount" thinking it was the best, next thing i know the damn thing is jammin like an SKS.  i take it off and it works fine. the problem is that the mount is setting to low and to far in the middle of the action where the brass is coming out. if it was another inch higher it would be perfect!! i paid $179.99 for the bastard and it better work. anybody know what the hell is goin on here? is it the ammo, im using some south african ball ammo,  i didnt think that would matter because it will eject the same way no matter what brass is runnin through it. im stunned!!! has anybody had any problems with this mount or is it just me. cause it sucks.!!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:03:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Funny that you mention it because I incountered the same problem yesterday myself.  I am running the same rig was you the ARMS 18 mount and ARMS 22 M rings.  Whenever my rifle was ejecting sometimes I noticed it jamming due to the front ring.  The brass was catching the base it.  I am thinking about moving the front ring back one notch and seeing if that helps.

I too believe that if the mount was a little higher it wouldnt cause it to jam.  But if it were a little higher you couldnt use your iron sights unless it had a channel cut into it like the Smith Enterprise mount.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:10:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Return the ARMS mount and get the one made by Smith Enterprise.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:25:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't things like that just piss you off? You spend your hard earned money and get excited only to get screwed. That sucks man, I'd send it back.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:33:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Get another ejector spring and try trimming a few coils off it.  It will change the path the brass takes out of the action.  Springs are cheap, and if it doesn't work for you, put the original spring back.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:48:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#6]
This is good stuff to know. I am still awaiting delivery of my M1A, but have been planning on getting the Smith mount for it. However, I was at least considering the ARMS mount since it gets talked about a lot here and is cheaper. But this thread furthers my resolve to spend the extra money for the Smith mount.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually, over the past year or so, I've read in numerous forums that the ARMS mount sometimes works and sometimes does not work on the SA rifles.  However, the ARMS mount works fine on the Poly (mine included) LRB and Norinco.  Check over at the M14 forum and you'll eventually find it.  

http://www.ambackforum.com/viewforum.php?f=108&sid=5168e91389cb7f4b8380bff785a84e3d

and here specifically.  Scroll down a few posts and you'll see the SA/ARMS18 mount issue.

http://www.ambackforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=26636&highlight=scope+mount+arms+18

There's something about the way the SA receivers are milled that causes the brass to catch in the space between the mount and the receiver.  This is not an issue on the Poly, however.  The other mount mentioned here will evidentally work, however.

Rome
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#8]
PROBLEMS WITH ARMS #18 M21/14 Scope Mount!!!!!!

Get yourself a Smith Enterprise, Inc. mount and be happy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
[

$275 ?? wheren't they cheaper a little while ago ?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[

$275 ?? wheren't they cheaper a little while ago ?

Prices do go up and up...
Look HERE for a deal.

HTH ~
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1

GET THE SMITH ENTERPRISE MOUNT!!!!!!

Slug-O
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Look HERE for a deal.

HTH ~

What's that XM21PIC mount? Is it the same as the regular $275 mount?

Also, one way or the other I plan on getting a Smith mount for my M1A. I plan to go with the SuperSniper 10X42 scope with side adjustable parallax. Would I be better off getting the extended Smith mount for that scope, or is it fine with the regular length mount?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#14]
The ARMS mounts are usually fine, it is more likely your receiver that is out of spec. I have heard the new receivers will not take some mounts, or they need to be fitted. Kind of sucks when you have already bought both. Let us know if the smith mounts works OK.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Get another ejector spring and try trimming a few coils off it.  It will change the path the brass takes out of the action.  Springs are cheap, and if it doesn't work for you, put the original spring back.

+ 1 Try a new ejector spring first.  If that doesn't work, trim a couple coils off the new one as suggested.  If that doesn't work, get the Smith Enterprise, Inc. mount with the M1913 Picatinny rail.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Look HERE for a deal.

HTH ~

What's that XM21PIC mount? Is it the same as the regular $275 mount?

Also, one way or the other I plan on getting a Smith mount for my M1A. I plan to go with the SuperSniper 10X42 scope with side adjustable parallax. Would I be better off getting the extended Smith mount for that scope, or is it fine with the regular length mount?

Damn, those are the best deals I've ever seen!  I have the Smith weaver mount and I love it.  No jams, keeps zero, and just as importantly, I can use the irons.  I use a Super Sniper 10x on mine and it works great.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Damn, those are the best deals I've ever seen!  I have the Smith weaver mount and I love it.  No jams, keeps zero, and just as importantly, I can use the irons.  I use a Super Sniper 10x on mine and it works great.

Kewl... I may just have to do the deed tomorrow. It'd be nice to get the M1913, but the Weaver is so dang cheap...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Actually, over the past year or so, I've read in numerous forums that the ARMS mount sometimes works and sometimes does not work on the SA rifles.  However, the ARMS mount works fine on the Poly (mine included) LRB and Norinco.  Check over at the M14 forum and you'll eventually find it.  

There's something about the way the SA receivers are milled that causes the brass to catch in the space between the mount and the receiver.  This is not an issue on the Poly, however.  The other mount mentioned here will evidentally work, however.

Rome

Let me Fix That For You!

milled to CAST

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Irons seem to work pretty good...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rome

Let me Fix That For You!

milled to CAST

BIGGER_HAMMER

Cast or forged...they are both still milled...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#21]
common problem with the arms mount.   thats why i got the smith enterprise 2006 mount and 7002 rings

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been through this problem myself.  My solution was to break down and but a SA 3rd generation mount, and now everything is OK.  I nearly ruined my M1A with an aftermarket mount.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Smith says their mount works with "issue iron sights".  Does anyone know if they work with national match hooded sights?  I'll call them but thought I'd ask here tonight.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#25]
nothin but problems i hear about with arms mounts.
my buddy had two,the where no good.

smith enterprise all the way !!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#26]
so what kind of mount should i get so this problem wont occure again?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
so what kind of mount should i get so this problem wont occure again?

You will want this one right here:

and here is the link:

Part# 2006

M14 Scope Mount, Wire EDM, NSN 5855-01-506-5750
Number one selling M14 scope mount to USG. MIL STD 1913 with see-through channel for use of issue iron sights. Marked "US Property" and with NSN. Wire EDM 4140 CM steel manufactured.
www.smithenterprise.com/products09.html
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:55:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Smith says their mount works with "issue iron sights".  Does anyone know if they work with national match hooded sights?  I'll call them but thought I'd ask here tonight.

when i was trying to figure out what i was gonna do.   I figured id email smith ent.   with some questions.   My email has my signature (name place of work and phone number).   In under 10 minutes he had called asking for me.   he says he would rather speak in person than type it in email.   so he answered all my questions and i placed my order with him immediatley.  
So i would email him or call.   he would be glad to help you in any way.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:36:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Anyone ever check out the Sadlak mount?  It is based on the brookfield mount and is supposed to be darn near perfect.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Sadlak Industries scope mounts are awesome too.  www.sadlak.com  I have a Sadlak Industries tungsten coated titanium scope mount in need of a scope.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#31]
This is a known issue with the ARMS mount.Get the Sadlak (my first pick,personally) or the Smith.Don't bother with anything less.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#32]
+1 on the Sadlak. Nice guy to deal w/ if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:59:46 AM EDT
[#33]
If the smith mount for some reason does not work (eg receiver variations), then the sadlak mount is a good way to go - supposedly they offer 1. a tool to check to see if your reciever is in spec and 2. they will customize their mount for you if your reciever is out of spec. I would contact them if you encounter further problems. Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Just put an ARMS mount on my springfield M1a.  Haven't shot it yet.  I hope it's trouble free.  The ARMS mount sits quite a bit lower than the other mounts, which I think is a really nice feature for 2 reasons.  

There is nothing worse than mounting an aimpoint a foot above your rifle and not being able to get a good cheek weld even with a cheek pad.  It sits nice and low with the ARMS mount.

In addition the ARMS mount sits so low, the iron sights are above the mount and you can't even see that you have a mount on your rifle in sight picture when using the iron sights with the scope off.  I don't like using the iron sights through a channel in the mount or under the mount, that really clutters up the iron sight picture.  I have quick release rings on both my scope and aimpoint and really like using the iron sights as well.  So this is a big factor for me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been looking at the Smith, but that Sadlak is tempting as well. Does anyone own the steel $225 version? Or how 'bout the cheaper aluminum version? Opinions between those two and the Smith?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top