Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 9:25:28 AM EDT
Recieved my 4 mags from Armalite yesterday....curious if they are really USGI.  No prominent spot weld dimples along the front, 5 spot welds on the locking block.  

They came packed in a simple plastic bag with a light coat of grease.  All marked with Borg Warner's "BRW S-1" stamp, but one is upside down.

I know proper storage can preserve items very well, but these mags just seem to clean and new to be 30-40 year old GI surplus.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#1]
How many weld dimples around the square hole on the front?  If one weld dimple only to the right side of the square hole, then they are USGI.  The follower assembly should have three weld dimples attaching the follower to the stop.  If so, the follower assembly is USGI.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#2]
One very prominent dimple to the right.........thanks Different.  

Did Armalite possibly clean and repackage these mags for long term storage?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't know if the repackaging was done by Armalite but the plastic bag with a light coat of grease was not how USGI contractors packaged M14 magazines in the 1960s.  Since Armalite has had these for some time it's a good guess that they did it though.

AFAIK, Borg-Warner made the most M14 magazines in the 1960s of all the contractors.  It is not unusual to see the BRW S-1 marking stamped upside down or diagonally.  You did well to buy these magazines.   Good deal!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
None of the M-14 Magazines that ordered were "re-packed" in plastic or greased , they were open and all of them were either BRW's or HR-R's, so yes they are USGI
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I just took my 6 USGI mags (5-BRW-S1, 1-OM)out of the wrappers last night and took them apart. Then I dipped them in some Gun Scrubber (brake parts cleaner) to remove the grease on them, and then applied a liberal dose of CLP to all surfaces. They look very shiny, black and new. Now I'm just allowing the CLP to sort of set on there and permiate the parkerizing for a few days/weeks and then will wipe off the excess so they don't attract too much dirt. Wish I had ordered more of these things! But I just couldn't bring myself to order than many mags for a rifle I don't even have yet.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes they are real mags.  I got 6 recently and they all look awsome.  They are Winchester.  Could not be happier.
I havebeen looking for some time for new ones.  I have a bunch of used ones and this made a great compliment.
Go for it.  They are great,
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I dug through a stack of them that ArmaLite brought to Tulsa that last two shows.  Did not see any I suspected to be anything other then USGI.  On the second go around almost all were refinished, they had real dark followers.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just took my 6 USGI mags (5-BRW-S1, 1-OM)out of the wrappers last night and took them apart. Then I dipped them in some Gun Scrubber (brake parts cleaner) to remove the grease on them, and then applied a liberal dose of CLP to all surfaces. They look very shiny, black and new. Now I'm just allowing the CLP to sort of set on there and permiate the parkerizing for a few days/weeks and then will wipe off the excess so they don't attract too much dirt. Wish I had ordered more of these things! But I just couldn't bring myself to order than many mags for a rifle I don't even have yet.

(Just cut this from the tacked mag thread)

Just bought 6 from Armalight, and I don't even have the gun.

UPDATE:

They have arrived from Armilite and the markings are as follows:

UHC

AM (an "A" superimposed over an "M")

BRW B2

W

OM

unk

All of them are a lot heavier than the blued steel one I saw at the fun show this past weekend. These also have a heavy matt black finish and coarse texture.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Same here, ordered 8 of them, 6 BRW's and a K and a CMI,  and just have my "name" on one of the new M25 recievers from LRB due out in the late winter/spring.

Wife just rolls her eyes....

MDP
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top