Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2005 1:00:57 AM EDT
The Greek Garands... were they returned in time to be used in Korea?

ETA: and when were they sent to Greece, did these rifles see action in WWII?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:12:06 AM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:46:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The Garands were loaned to Greece after Korea.  Thet were used during the cold war to arm Greece against Russia, and in the Greek border disputes with the Turks.

Time frame late 50's thru late 70'/early 80's as far as active service in the Greek armed forces.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:52:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The Garands were loaned to Greece after Korea.  Thet were used during the cold war to arm Greece against Russia, and in the Greek border disputes with the Turks.

Time frame late 50's thru late 70'/early 80's as far as active service in the Greek armed forces.

Ah, I thought we armed Greece during the Greek civil war with these...
Interesting.

So these rifles saw WWII(depending on serial number), Korea, and armed a foreign army against commies.  To be honest, I think this adds more to the history of the firearm.  I am now more tempted to buy one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:59:15 AM EDT
[#4]
There were some new in wrap HRAs that came back from Greece, these rifles were built after the Korean conflict wound down.  Also some pristine rifles were returned, looking like they were never unpacked from the shipment over there.

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:02:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There were some new in wrap HRAs that came back from Greece.

Didn't these get auctioned off and were sold for some rediculous price?  IIRC there's a Garand being auctioned off in the conditon you describe for $13k+
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:10:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:15:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't these get auctioned off and were sold for some rediculous price?  IIRC there's a Garand being auctioned off in the conditon you describe for $13k+

I think the pair that were sold in their original shipping box went for over $25,000
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:53:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the pair that were sold in their original shipping box went for over $25,000

If my Garand hobby keeps up I might need to take out a morgage to finance this.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#9]
At least some of the Garands and Carbines from ROK (South Korea) were imported by Blue Sky back in the 80s and were import stamped on the barrel.  I am not sure if all the ROK rifles were reimported but we gave them TONS.  As a side note, when I was in Japan last month, I went to a military surplus store in Tokyo and they have barrels of Garand and Carbine stocks/handguards.  They were taken off of Japanese Jietai rifles and were 8000 yen for a complete set.  Many had Japanese painted on them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
At least some of the Garands and Carbines from ROK (South Korea) were imported by Blue Sky back in the 80s and were import stamped on the barrel.  I am not sure if all the ROK rifles were reimported but we gave them TONS.  As a side note, when I was in Japan last month, I went to a military surplus store in Tokyo and they have barrels of Garand and Carbine stocks/handguards.  They were taken off of Japanese Jietai rifles and were 8000 yen for a complete set.  Many had Japanese painted on them.

gotta ask, what's a ______Japanese Jietai rifles ?????
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#11]
And what's 8000 yen in U.S. dollars??
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
And what's 8000 yen in U.S. dollars??

Google is your friend..........

$69.17 USD

1 USD = 115.665 JPY
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, about $70 bucks for a complete stock with all the metal.  Japanese Jietai is the Japanese Self Defense Force (SDF).  After WWII, the US occupation forces disarmed Japan of all weapons, and the Japanese adopted (or were forced to adopt) a new Constitution that contained Article 9 which forbid them from maintaining a military.  When the Cold War heated up in Korea, the US started to reverse pressure and wanted Japan to rearm with a 75,000 man police force to free up US forces to fight in Korea as well as to provide internal security and disaster relief in Japan if needed.  Later in 1954 this police force became the SDF and the US supplied and trained them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, I thought we armed Greece during the Greek civil war with these...
Interesting.

So these rifles saw WWII(depending on serial number), Korea, and armed a foreign army against commies.  To be honest, I think this adds more to the history of the firearm.  I am now more tempted to buy one.

The M1903s and A3s the CMP is/was selling were given to the Greek govt. to help in the fight against the commies during their civil war in the late 1940s.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#15]
The serial number of my Greek SG indicated it was made in 1957, just prior to the end of production. So I would assume that they were loaned to the Greeks even into the late 50's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top