Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2005 2:16:51 PM EDT
I am shopping for an m1 carbine and I want to purchase a reasonably cheap one, but also one of high quality. What should I look for? I have heard that Kahr is making one. Would these new Kahr ones a good value? How do they compare to USGI carbines? I have heard Universal carbines are low quality, is this true? Do you have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Get only a GI carbine.  I have 4, have had many off brands, am sending back a Auto Ord now that the mag chute is slightly off and it won't feed anything from the left side of any mag. (I have 200+ mags)  Go to a gunshow, or to CSP and go to the Carbine forum.  This is an excellent shtf weapon and my wife will use one if necessary.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
USGI's are the best

Inland,IBM, National Postal Meter and Rockola are the best ones

Try to stay away from re-imported models, they will be stamped on the barrel
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 4:09:17 AM EDT
[#3]
look for an Iver-Johnson. I have one and I like it very much. AFAIK it's one of the few good non-USGI carabine. it's also compatible with USGI parts.

Frens
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Cheap and high quality seldom go together in firearms and almost never when it comes to carbines.  Most of the civilian copies are hit or miss.  The early Universals were ok, most of the rest were junk.  Plainfield generally considered the better of the civvies, but hard to find.  The Israelis (IMI, IAI?) seemed hit or miss.  Same with the new Auto Ordnances.  Federal Ordnance made recievers in the sixties that weren't bad, but I haven't seen one in years.

USGI is definitely the way to go, but be prepared to spend some serious coin.  Beater grade imports can still be found in the $400 to $500 range.  Nice imports will typically be over $500.  Non import USGI seem to start about $700 anymore and can climb quickly.  For some reason the carbine market really started to over heat about three or four years ago.  There are bargains out there, but tough to find.

Link Posted: 11/13/2005 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#5]
USGI and appreciate the historic value.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a USGI - it will save you money in the long run.
Commercial copies of ANY military firearm will never work as well as the original.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Considering all the junk you see in gunshows, how can you tell if a weapon is USGI?
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am shopping for an m1 carbine and I want to purchase a reasonably cheap one, but also one of high quality. What should I look for? I have heard that Kahr is making one. Would these new Kahr ones a good value? How do they compare to USGI carbines? I have heard Universal carbines are low quality, is this true? Do you have any suggestions?

The Kahr is a fine weapon, and easily the equal of a 60 year old antique.   I've had one for over a year with a couple of thousand rounds through it without a hiccup.   Having looked at both, I picked it for a shooter over a USGI (IBM) and am glad I did.

Stay away from Universals; they are trouble prone although a good one shows up now and again.

Link Posted: 11/17/2005 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Considering all the junk you see in gunshows, how can you tell if a weapon is USGI?

Look on the top of the reciever and on the barrel
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 3:06:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
USGI's are the best

What makes these(Inland,IBM, National Postal Meter and Rockola are the best ones) better that any other USGI?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#11]
If its any help, I picked up a fairly nice National Postal Meter for $450 at a gun show. Good Hunting,you wont be dissapointed with this little rifle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If its any help, I picked up a fairly nice National Postal Meter for $450 at a gun show. Good Hunting,you wont be dissapointed with this little rifle.

Heh, I got a USGI National Postal Meter w/o import marks for $450 at the Mesquite Gun show in June or July. The finish on the op-rod is worn, but the bore is very nice and the thing is a nail-driver as far as I'm  concerned.

The deals are out there, you just gotta keep an eye out for them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I have also been bitten by the carbine bug. I too have resisted the temptation to save a few bucks and buy a Universal. Specifically, what are the differences between the Universals and the USGI? Do the Universals use cast receivers?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Kahr is a fine weapon, and easily the equal of a 60 year old antique.   I've had one for over a year with a couple of thousand rounds through it without a hiccup.   Having looked at both, I picked it for a shooter over a USGI (IBM) and am glad I did.

This is good to know. My dad had has a Kahr carry pistol for a year now and it's by far his favorite weapon. I am starting to get the M1 carbine bug as well. I still haven't got my M1A yet, so it'll be a while. But I'd like to get a carbine to use as a home defense/plinker eventually.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I would like to know what Auto Ord. (kahr) parts interchange with USGI?. Also, is the reciever cast or MIM? I am also looking for a shooter. The Auto Ord. is tempting
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I would like to know what Auto Ord. (kahr) parts interchange with USGI?. Also, is the reciever cast or MIM? I am also looking for a shooter. The Auto Ord. is tempting

All parts interchange with USGI.     Receiver is cast.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#18]
anyone tried to buy an original Inland  paratrooper lately $2,000. +
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Around here you can't touch (or couldn't) a USGI Carbine for less than about $800.00 plus when I was looking.

I took a gamble and bought an IAI M888 Carbine and it did has some issues but none that weren't an easy fix.

1st off if you do come across an IAI M1 (M888) Carbine look for the newest/lastest serial numbers. Earlier IAI carbines were cut with a tight chamber for what some thought would increase accuracy only to cause FTF/FTE issues. Later ones came with standard dia. chambers.

Mine had a tight action and needed to be broken in so I racked the op rod maybe 500 plus times while watching BOB on DVD until it freed up.  Miitec 1 might have also helped in smoothing things out during the 8 DVD's too......Just clean and relube now and then and start racking.

My IAI Carbine would not feed with the 10 round factory mag but ran fine with the 15 round USGI mags and was plenty accurite.

I did replace the stock with a USGI Birch pot Belly stockand got rid of the cheesy metal vented HG.

If you can get USGI at a reasonable price by all means, figure it is already broken in...well broken in in some cases and gonna have been rebuilt at least once.

Karsten
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Just picked up my first carbines recently. $200 each.

Ok, to be fair, they are imports. Not Blue Sky though and the stamping is very small on the side of the receiver. One is IBM with a an original barrel, MW of 1, and the other is a National Postal Meter with a correct Underwood 1943 barrel MW of 2. Think I did good!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow... I handled a Kahr M1 carbine this weekend when I was in making another payment on my Springer M1A. What a LIGHT little weapon. Felt almost like a toy. Me likee! I think this thing would make the perfect home defender for the wife or even me. I'd certainly much rather lug this around than my 20" HBAR.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:25:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
USGI's are the best

+1  I'f I were buying an M1 Carbine, I'd look for a good USGI Carbine

Second choice would be Fulton Armory
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I checked-out that Fulton Armory M1 carbine. NICE! It's only like $350 more than the Kahr that my dealer has. Does anyone here have the Fulton carbine? What could I expect for accuracy and longevity from one of these things? They don't look as hearty as a Garand, M14, or AR.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#25]
My first AR was from Fulton Armory.  Their prices are a tad high, but Walt and Clint are great to work with.  Lots of integrity and customer focus.  They use new USGI parts whenever possible, and FWIW the gun rags have chosen Fulton Armory M1 Carbines and M14s over the competition in a number of side-by-side comparisons.  I don't know where they source their M1 Carbine receivers.  It might be worth finding out.

I don't have anything against Kahr, either, though.  If/when I buy a pistol for concealed carry a TP9 would be a leading candidate.  I don't know much about their carbines, though.  Are the receivers cast?  Ir machined from bar stock?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
USGI's are the best

-1.  I have a blue sky import stamped one that is very accurate and reliable, tho i have heard rumors of some that were stamped deeply enough to affect the borel
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I don't have anything against Kahr, either, though.  If/when I buy a pistol for concealed carry a TP9 would be a leading candidate.  I don't know much about their carbines, though.  Are the receivers cast?  Ir machined from bar stock?

I think they'r cast. Looked like it to me when I handled one. But I'd have no problem getting one anyways. +1 on their pistols, my dad loves his. I have been thinking about the PM9 for CCW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top