Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2005 12:28:05 PM EDT
Anyone running a 1.25-4 Accupoint on their M1A?  I know they have pretty long eye relief so I am curious how far forward they have to be mounted on the M1A.  If anyone has a photo they could post it would help.  Thanks  
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
After reading the posts around here, I too am seriously considering the TR21/TR21R or Leupold MR/T SPR for use with a M1A Scout Squad.  I would like to hear opinions on this combination as well...
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I wanted to test this option as well.  I tried one of those (yeah, i know it ain't a leupold) cheapo simmons 1.5-5x variables on my LRB.  Unfortunately (to me) the eye relief was way too short at around 4x-5x.  Maybe it was just me...  I've gone back to my aimpoint...
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#3]
can you provide any insight on your scope mount/rings etc...?  I have on order an SEI Scope mount, and there is a guy who is selling either the Trijicon or the Leupold w/LaRue SPR/SPR-E mounts.  As this is my first scoped weapon, I want to do it as close to right the first time, due to budgetary restrictions  (wife owns the credit card).
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#4]
at 1.25x you need approximately 4.5" eye relief. at 4x you need approximately 3.5" eye relief.

mounting an Accupoint on the Scout barrel mount will not work.
with a receiver mount(SEI, Brookfield, ARMS, Sadlak) use the LaRue SPR mount. with a Sage stock use the LaRue SPR-E mount.

FWIW, the Navy uses the TR21/TR22 with the SPR-E mount on their MK14s.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Iwas using the Smith NSN mount, ARMS Medium 30mm rings with 1in adaptors.  Karsten's cheekpiece.  (I'm not sure how to explain this too well, but here goes)  I ran out of rearward movement of the scope on the mount using regular rings, (maybe an inverted spr mount would work) Bench rested, it was uncomfortable to shoot.  I was flinching like crazy after he scope bumped my glasses a few times.  Keep in mind this is a 50 dollar simmons.  I think the boys in Iraq are using said Leupold setup.  Not sure about the specifics of their setup though...
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I would think the SPR mount on top of a ARMS #18 scope mount would raise the scope a little too high for my tastes.  Would I have to run a cantelever mount or is there enough room on an ARMS #18 to obtain proper eye relief with a set of regular rings? I am running a NXS 2.5-10 in Arms low mounts and don't need a cheek piece and want to keep it that way.   I just also want something with less magnification and a better FOV and can't wait for the NXS 1-4 so I thought I would try the Accupoint.   I would also like to know where the eyepiece sits in relation to the rear sight when properly mounted.    
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll have one on my M1A by this time next week Range report should follow soon after
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'll have one on my M1A by this time next week Range report should follow soon after

I will be standing by, waiting to hear what you think.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I was interested in the same set up, namely a Trijicon Accupoint TR21 1.5-4x on an M1A SOCOM forward scout mount rail; according to Mark Larue at Larue Tactical, their model SPR-E was made specifically for this kind of application!  Sounds interesting, and I plan to give it a shot in the future...
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You better link me to that range report  
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I found out the ARMS 18 is not long enough for proper eye relief.  I don't want to use a cantelever riser so I may try a Smith mount.  I saw the post about the scout mount and the SPR-EE, I am not so sure this would project the scope far enough back.  I know it would work great on a Sage stock as I saw a pic of a Navy rifle in this set up.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]
AR15kittykat has one on his M1A. It's a pretty sweet set up, he should be able to answer your questions.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well I found out the ARMS 18 is not long enough for proper eye relief.  I don't want to use a cantelever riser so I may try a Smith mount.  I saw the post about the scout mount and the SPR-EE, I am not so sure this would project the scope far enough back.  I know it would work great on a Sage stock as I saw a pic of a Navy rifle in this set up.  

I found out the same thing. The eye relief was way too long for my rig.   Especially since I have the short LOP stock. Greatly disappointing since the optic is extremely nice. I am now leaning towards a compact ACOG with the low special ring mount.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:38:39 AM EDT
[#14]
That was my next choice as well.  I went back to the smith mount and it looks like it has enough forward space for proper eye relief.  When I get it set up I'll post a pic.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure if this will help you but the new SEI M14 ACOG/MIL STD 1913 Scope Mount, NSN 1005-01-535-4430, P/N 2005, when available to civilians, may be what you need.  However, getting one in light of current mil requirements, may be tough for a while.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
After reading the posts around here, I too am seriously considering the TR21/TR21R or Leupold MR/T SPR for use with a M1A Scout Squad.  I would like to hear opinions on this combination as well...

I ran this setup for quite awhile custom leupy 1.5-5

It worked well, But the rifle has since been reworked into a 18" med-hvy Douglas barreled EBR clone and Ive went back to running an Eotech.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I got mine set up.  The Accupoint works great on the gun.      
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top