Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 4:10:35 PM EDT
Looks like some people are getting taken on GB over fake USGI mags.

Any one here deal with this Bannana Mags seller on GB AKA Tom Forest st Co. ???
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I've purchased a bunch of mags from him in the past.  He sold Sig 229 hi caps legally during the AWB.  I took the mag bodies and put new springs in them and they functioned flawlessly.  I bought a half dozen Detonics mags that function perfectly.  I have at leasst a dozen S African 15 round High Power mags from him at a great price.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
http://www.m-14forum.com/viewforum.php?f=76

Looks like some people are getting taken on GB over fake USGI mags.

Any one here deal with this Bannana Mags seller on GB AKA Tom Forest Co. ???

I ordered two right before I found out they were fake. Emailed him with the link to m-14forum.com, got nasty with him over the fact that he was selling them as GI knowing they weren't, and told him to cancel my order. Thought he had but about two weeks later they came in the mail anyway. i  just kept them. That gives me 5 mags with the three *real* USGI mags that I ordered from  elitefirearms.com. Haven't yet been able to test them. But I can tell you right now they don't seem to want to feed as well USGI.

Should have sent them back but what the hell. It's cost me > 1k to build this rifle as it sits, so a few more $$ won't kill me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:24:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Its true, Bannana Mags sold me some fake USGI mags that were stamped OM.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep spreading the word and hopefully that will help others to not get burned by overpaying for M14 mags that are not USGI.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Well here is were I am at with Bannana Mags AKA Tom Forest.

Up date I just got off the phone for the 3rd time today with Tom Forest AKA Bannana Mags on GUN BROKER. Mags were shipped out today.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]
If you paid by credit card all you have to do is dispute the charges.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you paid by credit card all you have to do is dispute the charges.  

Thats the idea I have.  I Just wished Monday was here now.

Any other GOOD PLACES to buy M14 USGI mags at in addition to elitefirearms.com ???

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#8]
A lot of us have bought mags from Armalite and I am very pleased with them as are just about everyone I heard from.   I bought 8.  In plastic wrap, oiled, appear brand new, function perfect.

http://www.armalite.com/sales/specials/excess/m14magSale.htm

AF
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Pricey but the real deal: www.coledistributing.com/
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Keep spreading the word and hopefully that will help others to not get burned by overpaying for M14 mags that are not USGI.

Wait till they see my feedback post on there M14 mags. They have all ready posted A+ feedback for me on GB.

It's time the truth gets printed in there feedback section.
I hope my mess keeps any one else from falling in to there trap.
Just goes to show, get in hurry to get to the range with other then the 10 round mag my Scout came with and end up with a mess.

I wonder if he still runs his adds in ShotGun news? Its been a very long time last I bought an issue of the SGN.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I see Tom Forrest hasnt changed. I ordered a bunch of steel MAC mags from him a couple of years ago. He was in no hurry to ship them and after a month or two of calls, I call him up and tell him to forget it. Two weeks later they show up, even after I canceled the order. They were total trash. I think one out of ten would go halfway without a stoppage, the others wouldnt even get that far. Sent them back. Get a big run around on getting a refund. Took two calls and was told that the banks take 30 days to get around to it, yea right. If your smart, you'll pass him by, no matter how good the deal looks.

I got a bunch of GI mags from Armalite for $25 ea. They are the real deal.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Its true, Bannana Mags sold me some fake USGI mags that were stamped OM.

Could you post pictures?  

I would like to compare originals with the fakes.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Sportsmans guide find

Turns out the mags are good, and functional, but the story aint true.

OK... in 1968, the U.S. government sold its M14 rifle production machinery to Taiwan. So in 1969, Taiwan began making their Type 57 M14s, including magazines. Here they are, in individual wrappers, from American machinery. Made to original U.S. mil. specs, except matte blued-steel rather than Parkerized. Mags are new, but might show minor surface rust from long-term storage.

HX5A-86649 - M14 / M1A Type 57 20-rd. Mag
$19.97
Club Price $17.97
 Qty:    
HX5A-86650 - 3 M14 / M1A Type 57 20-rd. Mags
$49.97
Club Price $44.97
 Qty:  
HX5A-86651 - 6 M14 / M1A Type 57 20-rd. Mags
$89.97
Club Price $80.97
 Qty:  

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Taiwanese Type 57 magazines work well but they were not made with equipment supplied by the U. S. government.  Many Type 57 rifle parts were made with the former Harrington & Richardson machines but not the magazines or the flash suppressors.  Source: Springfield Armory National Historic Site online notes.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Working well is good enough Just thought I would throw it out there for burn cream to some of the guys suffering and looking for a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Working well is good enough Just thought I would throw it out there for burn cream to some of the guys suffering and looking for a good deal.

Sounds good to me!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Look for the single large spot weld divit to the right of the square hole.  I know it is hard to make out but there are 2 small divits to the right and one up above it.

More little spot weld divits.

The fake "OM" marking.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#18]

It's hard to see what to look for.

Here are three OM's I just got. What do you think?

The OM stamp is a lot deeper in the center one:

I see a lot of variations from the different makers too. I'd really like to know the precise fake differences in picture perfect detail.

Note: I CLP'ed my mags so some oil is on the finish.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Do your magazines hold twenty rounds?  If not, they are NOT USGI.  The USGI drawing 7790183 magazine assembly requires EVERY magazine to feed twenty rounds then hold the bolt open after the last round.  If the magazine doesn't hold twenty rounds it cannot feed twenty rounds.  Also, when you load the fake "GI" magazines they don't feel the same as the real deal.

USGI magazines almost always have thirteen weld dimples on the front side with the top dimple to the right of the square hole.  There is a known exception.  SOME KMT marked magazines were welded with two weld dimples on either side of the square hole.  

Here is a photo of two real deal USGI KMT magazines showing the known correct front side weld patterns.

Here's another photo of a real deal USGI M14 magazine.  Taiwanese Type 57 magazines will have this same weld pattern.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Robert2011, your OM marked magazine bodies are USGI.  They look identical to the several OM marked magazines I have.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Update  Mags were shipped out today with sig required on the box.
We shal see what comes.
UPDATE 08/19/05
Mags were not shipped out on the 15th per them. But shipped out on the18th.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I got a notice from QuantumView with a tracking number for the MAGs from Tom Forest AKA Bannana mags on GUNBROKER.

Paid 08/02/05 Asked to have tracking numbers on shipment. 3+ Emials sent asking for this. I wanted the pakage to have ADULT signatuere on it, so as UPS or FedEx would not just drop and run. NONE of this happened. The wife and I were out of town on the 11th. I was told the mags were delivered. NO box(s) on front porch, I have informed our UPS drivers and FedEx drivers to not leave items out front. I told them they could leave with another home owner on my block, BUT not to leave at any of the rentals on our block.

I called on the 15th not one time but 3+ times to Talk to a DAVE there at TF/Bannana mags.
Was tolod the replacement ship ment was going out that day. 3+ Emails to get a tracking number and I finaly called them on the 18th. They had me call back again in 10 to 15 min for the tracking number. They were shipping my mags out that day of the 18th.
Tracking number says the 23rd they will be here and so shall I.

After all this BS they had better be USGI MAGS PER THERE POST at Gunbroker.com.
If not I will post the proper feedback on Bananna mags feedback section. I allready have feedback from them with A+.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought a couple of s&w mags and one of the "new in wrap GI" M14 mag from his Shot Gun News ad back in Jan.  The smith mags were fine but I didnt open the M14 mag until reading a thread here about fake mags in fake wraping. Sure enough, mine was a fake.

Emailed Dave about an exchange and sent him the mag to be replaced by a actual GI mag. About a month later and a couple email reminders I received 2 of the fake mags in wrap. My cost came to about $17 per fake mag. I would rather have one GI mag, but I'll live. All in all, not the best experience, but I don't feel ripped off. He said he would charge back the price to my card if I wanted.

By the way the Armalite mags rule, got 5.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Well I just got my mags from Tom Forest Inc. AKA Banana mags on gun broker.
10 small spot welds on front of mag.
3 large spot welds on the followers
3 marked OM     (5/8" from bottom of mag very lightly marked.)
1 marked BRW/S-1 upside down   (5/8" from bottom of mag)

They seam to be a Very good mag BUT NOT A USGI MAG PER HIS ADD ON GUN BROKER.COM

This is what the mags were in, and I am now reading the bags are boguse too.

Funny thing I just got a M14 mag from a friend that was sent a WRONG mag from another dealer and it is USGI M14 mag. 13 big spot welds on the front. He told me he was $30.00 into it and did not want to send back to the seller, so I paid him for it. Kinda nice to be able to see first before buying it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:18:25 AM EDT
[#26]
What jacked up sellers.

Max
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Well I got to try out the 4 mags from Tom Forest AKA Banana mag on GunBroker.com.
I could only get 19 rounds in EACH mag.
Followers on 2 of the mags took a nose dive and would not feed.
I have sent many eamils to them with out so much as ONE REPLY BACK FROM THEM.
I am going to call my CC company and post the proper feedback for them on GUNBROKER.com

I CAN NOT SAY IT LOUD ENOUGH. DO NOT BUY THIES MAGS.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:30:43 AM EDT
[#28]
What's the bottom line guys? Where can I purchase reliable M-14 magazines?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Armalite.... GI mags for $25ea.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
What's the bottom line guys? Where can I purchase reliable M-14 magazines?

All the following are excellent condition USGI sources:

Armalite for $25 ea if they still have any

Elite Firearms (www.eliteguns.com IIRC) $25 ea (go to "buy parts with paypal" and they are hidden in there)

JAR420 on the ar15.com Equipment Exchange, 5 for $80 shipped.  

I have bought form Elite and they were excellent coinditon SUGI marked "BSW-R1" or something like that- definitely USGI, and worked great.  I also purchased some from JAR420 and they were brand spanking new USGI removed from wrap- still had "sprakle" to the parkerizing as they were virign mags- Checkmate made with LEO/MIL stamp from 2003 IIRC.  Fed awesome, I felt bad for scuffing them by insterting/removing them!

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:11:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Well shit, I just sent this guy a check for two.  I only paid $15 apiece so I guess I didn't get screwed too bad.  Do they work at all?  If I put a USGI spring and follower in them (still have a few at home) will they function ok?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Just bought 6 from Armalight, and I don't even have the gun.

UPDATE:

They have arrived from Armilite and the markings are as follows:

UHC

AM (an "A" superimposed over an "M")

BRW B2

W

OM

unk

All of them are a lot heavier than the  blued steel one I saw at the fun show this past weekend. These also have a heavy matt black finish and coarse texture.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#34]
A little late to this thread, but here's some magazine info from Fulton Armory

www.fulton-armory.com/M14Mags.htm
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#35]
As of 10/24
Armalite had them in stock, I ordered a baker's dozen.  They are brand spankin new in clear plastic wrappers. Markings are there, but very difficult to see, at least with 55 yr old eyes.
Grab em while you can, t hey are no longer being produced in the US.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Armalite still has them on sale. I ordered two today.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Something new
I recieved more new mags from Armalite today. The followers on these mags are parkerized. I've never seen that before. They are marked with the same variety of US manufacturers. For some reason this batch took about 15 days to get to me.
Still selling at $25 apiece plus the ride.
Some people buy stocks, bonds, gold, real estate......I buy M14 mags.........and AMMO!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top