Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2003 10:18:49 AM EDT
Saw a used preban Springfield M1A (standard) at a local gun store. Gun has a synthetic stock and comes with 3 20-rounders.

Gun is in good condition, but was no safe queen. Guy at the store says the owner has put a few hundred rounds through it, which makes me think more like a few thousand. Bore looks good though.

Asking price is $900. Is this a decent deal?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is a real preban rifle, $900 is a good buy.  What is the serial number?  The cutoff I think is around 84,000.  But you may want to write it down and contact Springfield Armory to find out if the receiver really left SA as a complete rifle before the ban started.

Another advantage of owning a preban M1A is the fact that SA used to use USGI parts back in the days.  Current production M1As are often plagued by substandard parts SA use to replace the USGI parts that they no longer have.  A good examples are the bolt, trigger group, and op-rod.  USGI parts are all milled, SA aftermarket parts are cast.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Springfield made changes to the receiver in the 40000 serial number guns.You can check the numbers on the parts to if they are usgi op-rod trigger bolt. Barrll if it is s.s.it should have springfied stamped on it if it just a date stamped on it is a aftermarket one.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell yes its a good deal. Even for a post ban.There is a $120 in mags alone, saying they are GI.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I know one the mags are USGI, but 2 of them look to be chinese.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#5]
You better buy it, that is, if its still there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#6]
The guy is ripping you off.What is the name of this shop so I can get it,I mean give him a piece of my mind.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:17:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If it is a real preban rifle, $900 is a good buy.  What is the serial number?  The cutoff I think is around 84,000.  But you may want to write it down and contact Springfield Armory to find out if the receiver really left SA as a complete rifle before the ban started.

Another advantage of owning a preban M1A is the fact that SA used to use USGI parts back in the days.  Current production M1As are often plagued by substandard parts SA use to replace the USGI parts that they no longer have.  A good examples are the bolt, trigger group, and op-rod.  USGI parts are all milled, SA aftermarket parts are cast.

Note to all---PreBan status is no assurance of getting USGI parts. Springfield Inc started using their "homemade" parts in the early 1980's. You need to be able to visually ID the parts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:10:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Note to all---PreBan status is no assurance of getting USGI parts. Springfield Inc started using their "homemade" parts in the early 1980's. You need to be able to visually ID the parts.

I've never heard of a pre-ban without USGI parts, but maybe people are ass-u-me ing?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a preban (70,xxx) factory built NM M1A ... the only non USGI part is the barrel.  Makes sense since this is a NM rifle.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#10]
The earliest that I have seen was 0256XX that came through my shop. I bought it from the original owner. Rifle came with his bill of sale and I dated it with Springfield Inc. Rifle left factory in 1983 as a standard grade. The only USGI parts was the gas system.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The Chinese mags are every bit as good as USGI.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The earliest that I have seen was 0256XX that came through my shop. I bought it from the original owner. Rifle came with his bill of sale and I dated it with Springfield Inc. Rifle left factory in 1983 as a standard grade. The only USGI parts was the gas system.

Good example, so there was a time when they were short on USGI parts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good example, so there was a time when they were short on USGI parts.

They would jump around. You never know till you examine the rifle.
I had one come through awhile back that was originally sold in late 1990's-early 2000. It had stainless BBL and Winchester trigger group (all parts), Win bolt, and Win Oprod...!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top