Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/12/2003 10:29:25 AM EDT
they have m1 garands and '03 springfields right now for $400 a pop. can i do better?

http://www.odcmp.com/
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 4:14:57 PM EDT
I don't think so. You may be getting the '03 in grease which will take a lot of work (but it's "just out of" clean and repair). The M1 Rifles are usually ready to shoot after rod down the bore.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:51:18 PM EDT
The 400.00 ones are good but you'll be happier in the long run if you get the 500.00 service grade. They are the best deal going for a garand.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:29:09 AM EDT
Screw that, I was at the CMP North store yesterday and found TWO absolutely perfect rack grade Garands. One is almost a complete 1945 Springfield, and the other was a H+R that was the finest one that I have seen. They had LOTS of very nice condition rack grades that were there. I got a delay status on the nics check so I could not take them with me, they should be at my door sometome this week though.... that kinda sucked. I will post some pictures here of them when they arrive. You can't beat the CMP Garands.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:13:58 AM EDT
Pighelmet --

Delay on a NICS? Did you supply your SSN or leave that field blank as if the Government doesn't have it ?

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:16:49 PM EDT
Man you hit the nail on the head..it said 'optional'...

I left it blank.

Never again.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:11:15 PM EDT
Score is running about 99% -- not counting real felons .

At a gun show last summer I watched the dealer call and go thru 6 of us for NICS. Me and another guy were accepted, the others referred. Yep, he and I were the only ones to fill in the "optional" box.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:25:06 AM EDT
Buy a rack grade from CMP. I have gotten two now and they are just as good as the SG rifles I have recieved from them. It both cases, the TE was about a 3 and the muzzle wear was good. One or two small pits in the bore is all that made them classify the rifles as RG. They shoot nice groups. I shot four deer with my winny RG this year. You won't do any better.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:22:57 PM EDT
These are what showed up at my door today. Really nice shape, tight lockup on both, and the HRA has a complete IHC trigger group...awesome.

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:45:40 PM EDT
None of mine came with a pink thingie..... .

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:31:55 PM EDT
what grade are those and what is the lead time on garands right now? someone told me lead time could be a year?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:56:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 2002gti:
what grade are those and what is the lead time on garands right now? someone told me lead time could be a year?

more like a month. The past few months I've seen people saying they got theirs anywhere from 2-6 weeks
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:00:10 PM EDT
I think mine was here in about 3 weeks from when I mailed the paperwork. I ended up with an Service Grade Springfield. Some research and a lot of help from Chuck, and it looks like I got a 1953 SA with a majority of its original parts. Excellent shooter. I would definitely buy from the CMP again. I'm actually pressing the wife really hard for another one for my birthday.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:15:13 PM EDT
Holy crap, I want one! How do I buy one of these through the CMP? I've heard I have to be in a club and shoot a match. I'm a minor, will that help? I also plan on joining the Navy in less than a year, will that help?please, explain this process to me, the Garand is one of my favorite designs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:49:03 PM EDT
First, you have to be a member of an affiliated club. The Garand Collectors Association is a great one. You get a quarterly magazine that has LOTS of good information, and its only 25 bucks a year to join.

You have to have some sort of certification stating you were in an NRA approved range course, and you fired at least 50 rounds downrange. I took a ccw class and got mine that way.

You have to show proof of US citizenship.

If you are in the military, the range certification is waived.

I think thats it. Garands are super guns...lots of fun and lots of history. I suggest getting Scott Duff's book BEFORE you buy one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:12:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2003 9:13:47 PM EDT by Corporal_Chaos]
So, does being a minor hurt me? Can I be in the affiliated club, have the range time, and get my mother to buy the rifle for me? I have always been facinated with Garands but have been put off by the high prices in the shops.

*****EDIT*****

Could you please post a link to the Garand Collector's Association?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:24:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:26:03 PM EDT
The application says that certain rifles may be available for purchase for minors by a parent or guardian.

www.odcmp.com/Forms/1orderform.pdf
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:47:13 AM EDT
Many local shooting clubs have a monthly Garand Qualification Match. Nominal cost. You fulfil all the "high power experience" requirements in a day.

NRA membership is neither required nor qualifies.

Current (and former) US military members get a bye on the high power experience, but not the affilliated club or citizenship requirements.

-- Chuck
Top Top