Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2003 4:23:32 PM EDT
A friend of mine has a Saginaw M1 carbine that another guy wants to buy. We are trying to figure out what a reasonable price would be. It is stamped Saginaw SG Div and Genaeral Motors division. The serial #'s match on the receiver, barrel, and stock. 3275xxx. The barrel is also stamped "Davidsons  Greensboro,NC" Condition is 95-98%. What's a good price? If it was an AR or AK or Sig I might know but on this I need some help. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:01:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The only serialized part on a U.S.G.I. M1 carbine is the receiver. So, it is impossible for the serial numbers on the receiver, barrel and stock to match unless someone hand stamped the barrel and stock.
Davidsons would'nt be the wholesale firearms distributer would it? If so, your friends carbine may be an import. I have never heard that Davidsons was in the firearms importation business.
In case you are unaware, during the late 80's, early 90's, many thousands of U.S.G.I. M1 carbines were returned (imported) to the U.S. from foreign countries. Most from South Korea. The value of these carbines is less than carbines that were not imported.
I really don't understand why since they are both U.S.G.I.. I suppose that carbine collectors being as snobbish as any other collectors, don't anything other than original markings stamped on them. Regardless, if the carbine is an import, assuming it is in decent, shootable condition, it's value would be minimum $400.00. Prices vary by region and other factors such as condition, originality and manufacturer .

There are better carbine forums with knowledgable collectors such as battlerifles.com and Culvers shooting pages.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#2]
As noted a serial number only appears on the receiver of the M1 Carbine.  If the carbine has been in service with a foreign army the number could appear on other parts, probably in electro-pencil.

Also as noted an "import" stamp kills the collectability of the carbine.  Even if the barrel maker matches the receiver I'd guess this is no more than a $300 plinker if you were buying it.  If you're selling it get as much as you can!  Let the buyer make the decision if $600 is too much!

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for all the replies. I'll tell him to ask $500.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top