Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2003 5:05:12 AM EDT
hey guys, I have some M1A questions for the gurus, hopefully yu can help a brother out here. I am in the market for an M1A. I am a FAL man at heart by feel as if it is time to venture out into the waters of the M1A. Grew up shooting a SA USGI M1A. This was my dad's rifle. I let it go years back and will always, always regret it. Sorry dad. Anyway, I think it's time to get a new one but I have come to learn SA now uses non-USGI cast parts. The M1A I shot growing up was purchased new sometime between 1980-1982 and as a kid was by far my favorite rifle to shoot next to the Garand. So on to the questions....is there a huge quality difference between the new parts and the old USGI stuff? The USGI parts seem to be drying up. Has anyone had any major problems with the newer models? When did Springfield begin doing this? What year did they stop using the GI parts? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 6:39:09 AM EDT
[#1]
They still use some G.I. parts but, they are running out of them. I'm not sure, but I think they now make their own bolts, op-rods, possiably barrels, the rifle you had, was probably a better made rifle than the ones they make now, back then about the only thing not G.I. would have been the receiver, which they always made themselves from a casting,everything else being G.I. They stopped using G.I. parts as they ran out over the last few years, Something to think about, a company called LRB arms, has brought out a U.S. made, forged, machined, m-14 receiver, they also offer barrled actions, they're not cheap, but one could buy a barrled action and assemble a rifle with G.I. parts that would probably be a higher quality rifle, and have just a little more in it than S.A. gets for theirs....in my opinion having a forged receivered m-14 would be worth the price diffrence,they are MUCH stronger,
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I would build not buy these days.  Ejecting extractors and faulty trigger groups dont do it for me.  But then again, since I have a pre-ban GI  M1A, I can be snobby about it.  Building is an option, as Ralph mentioned.  Wilson is supposedly going to produce GI-spec chrome lined barrels.  That, a good reciever and some smart part shopping you would have an excellent rifle.

Something to consider, A LOT of people have non-GI M1As and use them without problem.  You could get one and as time and money allow, replace parts.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]
What Lumpy196 said.  For some background information on the M14, check out my article.  
m14.freeservers.com/about.html
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't say I've personally had problems with the newer Spfld rifles but I've heard of plenty who have.Bolts blowing apart,trigger pins breaking,op-rods bending,etc.

It has been proven also that cast receivers like the Spfld's are as strong as forged (if properly heat treated).

You can buy an Armscorp receiver and buy all USGI parts to build a standard rifle for about $1000-$1100 (a friend of mine did just that).

You can spend about $250 more and build a match rifle.I'm currently building 3 right now.

I personally own 3 prebans under serial number 40,000.I'm looking for a Devine rifle to be my 4th.

Link Posted: 11/9/2003 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Different, you have a great site.

You ever get those pics I emailed you of M14s in Iraq?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:49:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Lumpy196, I don't recall for sure.  I think so as I added some M14 in Iraq photos to my website.  Check my article every couple weeks or so.  I'm always adding tidbits of information as I learn more.  Thank you very much, Lumpy196.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:42:23 AM EDT
[#7]
See I take real issue to spending this type of money on a rifle with a cast receiver and parts that break. You guys are going to kill me but yesterday I turned down a complete M14 kit at the local gun show. The guy had had it for years. All USGI stuff, even had the demilled Winchester receiver. Being a FAL guy and an AR guy to some extent I passed after looking at the trigger group, can you say garbage? So here is my problem, this was all USGI stuff and if you ask me after dealing with countless FALS, it was crap. The barrel sucked, the bolt was junk (TRW) and the trigger group was crap. So why would I buy 30 year old junk? I'm telling you Turkish G-1's (Fals sent to Turkey after the Germans were done with them) was of much higher quality than this stuff, this stuff just looked and felt like crap and the barrel was without a doubt, crap. he wanted $500 for the entire kit, I passed. I may never return to the M1A world guys. I'm not spending insane money on a rifle that will break and I'm not using junk. I am sure you guys know where the good USGI stuff is, but this stuff sure as hell wasn't. Been keeping my eye on gunbroker for a preban though, but I know even those had problems. Guess I now am vindicated in being a FAL guy. I understand why the military was in and out of this rifle like a pair of underwear. Although, I do know they are still used by some units. I just wish I could get some good news about the new rifles without someone telling me what I want to hear. Thanks guys. These damn toys can be so frustrating!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#8]
patriot73, could you elaborate a bit on why you came to your assessment of the USGI trigger group, barrel, bolt, etc. all being crap.  It would help me to know what to look for as I am in the market to buy some parts myself.  Just to say something is crap doesn't give me a good idea of what I should be looking for.  Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#9]
TRW bolt was junk???Well that's a new one!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
TRW bolt was junk???Well that's a new one!!!

Mine isnt.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:31:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
patriot73, could you elaborate a bit on why you came to your assessment of the USGI trigger group, barrel, bolt, etc. all being crap.  It would help me to know what to look for as I am in the market to buy some parts myself.  Just to say something is crap doesn't give me a good idea of what I should be looking for.  Thanks for your help.

Well, truth be told I am sure when this stuff was new it wasn't crap at all. It appeared (from the untrained eye mind you) That they were way past their day. They looked just worn out to beat the band, I wouldn't build a rifle with them. However, I am sure if you found the very same parts that weren't blasted out in Vietnam, I am sure the opposite would be true. These particular parts were just trashed. I did order a SA standard M1A, it will be here Tuesday.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the update patriot73.  I was concerned that you saw something basically wrong in the engineering/manufacture of the parts.  Sounds like I just need to be watchful and stay away from "well used" parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top