Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2003 7:30:03 PM EDT
Hi guys I painted my synthetic G.I. olive drab. It turned out good but I am worried about it flaking off like springfields. Plus how do i fill in the selector swittch cutout?I used paint from walmart. I used colorplace red oxide primer then coated it with krylon olive drab they sell in the hunting section. I would really like to do a pattern like the new Marine Corps camo. Does anyone make a pattern for this design? Plus will the paint run when the barrel heats up? Any info would be helpful. Thanks JC My email adrress is [email protected] or [email protected]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a couple of tips.
This is how I do my USGI fiberglass stocks.

Selector fill in- I cut up fiberglass (mat material) and mix with epoxy resin ( half & half).Just mix resin per instrutions with hardner.

I put a flat piece of hard plastic on each side of selector cut to hold the fiberglass.When cured just sand down flush with stock.

Krylon paint is good and ya don't need primer if ya paint over the USGI fiberglass stocks.I use Krylon camo paint from Walmart as well and it holds up real good.

When the paint cures it will not run or loosen up.You would have to shoot in full auto a long time before that happens.

You might try a google search to find the camo pattern you want.

HTH

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:58:33 PM EDT
[#2]
To fill the selector cutout I use JB Weld.Just mix it up and let it set for Approximately 30 mins or until it has a silly putty type consistency and fill the cutout.I use cardboard with wax paper on the back to contain the JB Weld until it hardens.

I also use the Krylon Camo system paints, and their matte clear coat finish.I personally prime my fiberglass stocks after filling and scuffing the surface.The Krylon paint has turned out to be pretty durable.The first couple of stocks I painted didn't have a clearcoat finish and they have held up well with normal range use and transporting.

Here are a few examples of the patterns I have done.

Realtree Type

Woodlands

Desert

The next camo I am going to try is the Vietnam Tiger Stripe camo.

SKBY.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys for the info. JC
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 1:39:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Or you can buy a dummy selector from here....
www.sparrowhawkm14.com
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#5]
 skullboy....WOW...nice guns!!!!
 I, too, use the epoxy/glass fill method as noted by shepherd and use the krylon paints as described.  Before painting the stock I prep the finish with 00 steel wool and wash it in soap and water whilst wearing new dishgloves...this keeps oils from your hands from transferring to the stock.  I then wipe it down with a lint free rag soaked in alcohol for good measure then let it dry for a while.  You can use your wifes' hairdryer to speed the process up.  It makes you REALLY popular with your wife...I guarantee!  Paint with fine coats till you get the finish you want then let it cure.  After that apply a dusted coat of clear epoxy lacquer.  Dust the piece very lightly then allow to fully dry.  Dust lightly again.  The idea is to put a nice protective coat over the piece without getting it shiny...
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I fill in the selector cutout with JB Weld.

Paint with Krylon

Final coat is a Matte clear coat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top