Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/8/2003 11:38:53 AM EDT
Found a Plainfield or Plainview M-1 Carbine at the gun shop for $600. Are these original production or remakes?
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 1:08:46 PM EDT
I have one of those. It is a plainfield. I bought mine back in '77. Wow. They went up since then. I paid $115.00 and thought that was high. They are a great rifle for plinking and improving your marksmanship. They are/were made as a new rifle. As far as I know, they are not put together from military parts.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 1:20:41 PM EDT
Generally considered among the better commercial copies, but that isn't saying much. Should be a decent shooter but $600 seems awful high. Careful shopping can turn up USGI for that price.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 1:22:05 PM EDT
It did have a folding stock but it still seemed high to me too.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 1:58:53 PM EDT
I'd think even cursory shopping would find plenty of USGI M1 Carbines for under $600.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:49:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Generally considered among the better commercial copies, but that isn't saying much. Should be a decent shooter but $600 seems awful high. Careful shopping can turn up USGI for that price.

Actually, a road trip to Tulsa next weekend will turn up more USGI than you can shake a sling at for much cheaper. Some will be collectable and run up around that price, but some will not, and will be shooters. The shooters run around $350 or so at the Wannemacher show, which is held in April and October at the Tulsa Expo Center.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 1:42:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By securitysix:

Originally Posted By Ameshawki:

Actually, a road trip to Tulsa next weekend will turn up more USGI than you can shake a sling at for much cheaper. Some will be collectable and run up around that price, but some will not, and will be shooters. The shooters run around $350 or so at the Wannemacher show, which is held in April and October at the Tulsa Expo Center.

Really? Can't touch a decent USGI in Iowa for under $500 and usually more like $600.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:16:15 PM EDT
Yep, I've seen a few. Now some of the bigger M1 Carbine vendors do get $600 or more for the really nice war production jobbies, and a lot of the ones you see for $350 are post-war Universals. You do see some USGI Carbines for right at $350 with some shopping, though. Even some post war guns with USGI parts are not too tough to find.
Top Top