Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2003 7:12:11 PM EDT
I'm a lucky soul, I won the right to buy a true USGI M1D Garand  serial no 21417xx from DCM/CMP a few years back. It came with a scope, cheek pad, scope mount, cone flash suppressor, cleaning rod all still wrapped in the original brown paper packages, and I also have the original shipping box. The rifle is a Springfield Armory and documentation. As far as I can't see what the bore or stock looks, because it is stll sorta wrapped in the hermetically seal bag dated 1974. The DCB/CMP folks broke the bag open to put on a little plastic sight protect the rear sight. And of course there was no insturction manual. It is unfired by me.

So can anyone give me an approximate value of the rifle in this condition?
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The long Range Director at my range has on in that condition also.. he has never taken anything out of the wrappings either.. I'd say they are worth $3K to $3.5K in that condition
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#2]
The CMP cobbled together 100 M-1D Rifles last month (without flash suppressor/hider) and sold every one for $2,800. From that, I would guess that the arsenal built originals would go for in excess of $3,000. I got one of the first batch they sold several years ago and everything was brand new (except the Springfield receiver). The barrel is post Korean War. With the iron sights, it's a tack driver. The 4X scope is a joke. To me, "collectables" are like a chain letter and I refuse to pay premium money for something just because it's rare/cute/desired. If it works, I buy. If it doesn't work, I dump it. This rifle works (except for the underpowered scope).
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The CMP just sold 100 M1Ds for $2,700. They were not new since rebuild. Yours should fetch from around $3,000-$3,300.

ArmyOrdGuy, who says the CMP cobbled together the M1Ds? Although the M1Cs have a specific SA serial# range and the M1Ds could have been built from any reciever, they still have specific barrels. The CMP M1Ds are all real M1Ds, not ones they built themselves.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The CMP announcement was on 9-15-03 for the sale and on 9-19-03 they said all 100 were sold. The sale statement said: "The CMP has prepared for sale 100 M1D Garand rifles. Shipped with cheekpad, scope mount, and M84 scopes.Scopes are servicable, but are used and show normal wear. Some rubber eye cups are missing.None of these rifles are equipped with a flash suppressor and the CMP does not have any flash suppressors available." The part that concerned me was the wording "HAS PREPARED FOR SALE". In the same announcement, the "M1 Garand less wood option"  was worded "The CMP is now offering...". Probably the only people that can tell for sure are the 100 buyers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#5]
When the CMP says "prepared for sale" they mean the have checked the function and servicability of the rifles, such as headspace.  They only replace parts that are broken or unfunctional.  They usually test fire them also. Although I don't know if they did that (test fire) with the M1D's since some were unissued since they were rebuilt in the early 60's.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The latest 100 M1Ds do not appear to have been "built" by the CMP. They appear to be genuine M1Ds. There are certain characteristics of the M1Ds, barrel markings, etc. At least the few I have seen or have been examined by other collectors.

The majority were rebuilt by the Toole aresenal in the late 1960s.

What's the issue with the less wood option? They were Danish SA only and the Danish wood has never been known for it's condition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top