Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 6:18:08 AM EDT
I tried doing a search and could not find anything. I'm going to place an order with Brownell's soon and wanted to get these in the same order. If someone has the Brownell part # that would be great. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#1]
the Brownells Part number is 054-114-000 $33.95

I got the ones form Fulton Armory.. they look better and are 2 seperate drill bits with handles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw the one from Brownell's you mentioned, but it looks like it only does the gas piston, not the gas cylinder. I thought Brownell had the one's with the handle also, but I can't find them.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
5/64" drill, held between the fingers, should fit in the M1 gas port which is .0785" diameter, and the drill is .078125, just smaller.  Spin between your fingers to clean the port.

-- Chuck  

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#5]
According to the SA manual for the M1A,

"Use a #15 aircraft length drill bit and a letter "P" standard drill bit to remove carbon from inside the piston and plug."
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:07:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone! I have already placed the Brownell's order, but I will check my local Sear's to see if they have them. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:00:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I saw the one from Brownell's you mentioned, but it looks like it only does the gas piston, not the gas cylinder.  

You do not use a drill on the gas cylinder. Don't even think about it.

Doing this one time WILL ruin your cylinder.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:14:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Mechanically, a piston slides in a cylinder. The gas piston slides back and forth in the gas cylinder. The picture that you show is the gas plug. The plug is bored out to allow the correct volume of gas to be in the system when it operates. Other than that, the plug just locks everything together. If it gets carboned up, the same "P" drill bit that is used to remove the carbon from inside the piston is used to remove the carbon from inside the plug. Cornbread2 is absolutely correct, you don't want to scratch or wear the gas cylinder in any way. If you do, the clearances increase and you need a new cylinder.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone for the info. For some reason I had it in my head that you had to clean the gas cylinder, with the correct size drill bit, also.

So is it correct to say you only clean the gas piston?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#11]
You clean the inside of the gas PISTON and the gas PLUG with drill bits.

Never ever even think about putting a drill in your gas CYLINDER.

If you do this you WILL be buying a new cylinder.

Your CYLINDER does not get a carbon build up like the piston does. The piston moving inside the cylinder will not allow such a build up.

To clean your CYLINDER use a large caliber bore brush or some other type of brush and some powder solvent.

Leave the entire gas systen completly dry. No lube except a drop od oil or grease on the threads of the gas plug.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top