Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/12/2003 11:54:26 AM EDT
Anyone else ever buy M1 garand ammo on the en-bloc clips, only to find that 99% of the clips do not have the rounds properly seated in the clip? I bought some korean ammo (half of which is corrosive...grr) and every bloody clip seems to have at least 2 rounds that are not seated fully against the back of the clip.

This, as you can imagine, makes clip insertion in a hurry impossible. I have taken to slapping the rounds nose first against a hard surface, and this seems to seat them most of the time. But I still often have to take the rounds out and re-load the clip.

I bought some Danish ammo that is still packed in the original bandoliers. This ammo is in brand new clips and does not share the problem...

I guess the lesson here is to avoid korean ammo if you can, right?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:29:47 PM EDT
It was made in Korea, what do you want?

Accually, I didn't have too much trouble with the Korean stuff I bought. Never had any problems with the clips.

People ask me why I'm spraying Windex down the bore after shooting that stuff though...

Av.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:15:07 PM EDT
If your Korean ammo has the KA-72 headstamp it is corrosive.

I know this to be fact from personal experience. I just wish the bastards that sell the stuff would admit it.

Corrosive ammo is not a problen as long as you KNOW it is corrosive.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:28:58 AM EDT
hitting the tips of cartidges in clips to seat is a very bad idea-may cause bullet to set back in case rather than round in clip- also what if you are trying to force back a cartridge that has a high prime back into clip?
suggest next time youre watching saving private ryan you unclip and reclip all rounds- doesn't take that long- I put 7 in clip manually push down on rounds individually then carefully put in round #8. you from time to time see surplus m-1's with tiny groups of pin punches in side of stock-these are from doing what youre doing on m-1 stock in combat
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:49:38 AM EDT
It was standard pratice to to tap the rounds even in bloc clips.
I said tap, not pound. If you move a bullet that is crimped and has sealent (mil. rounds) you are pounding and not taping.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:41:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
Anyone else ever buy M1 garand ammo on the en-bloc clips, only to find that 99% of the clips do not have the rounds properly seated in the clip? I bought some korean ammo (half of which is corrosive...grr) and every bloody clip seems to have at least 2 rounds that are not seated fully against the back of the clip.

This, as you can imagine, makes clip insertion in a hurry impossible. I have taken to slapping the rounds nose first against a hard surface, and this seems to seat them most of the time. But I still often have to take the rounds out and re-load the clip.

I bought some Danish ammo that is still packed in the original bandoliers. This ammo is in brand new clips and does not share the problem...

I guess the lesson here is to avoid korean ammo if you can, right?

Are your clips marked? I have some clips marked with a triangle and inside the triangle there is a J M, with an O underneath the J&M. These clips give me fits trying to load the rounds into them nice and straight, no matter how hard I try. I have no problems with any of my clips marked otherwise.
Top Top