Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/22/2003 1:42:30 PM EDT
OK, guys, first of, thanks to all who advised on my original topic of whether to get an FAL or an M1A. I still haven't bought yet and am in a bit of debate. I handled some different stuff at the show last weekend and here's what I found:

G3 (Century): Pistol grip was too vertical for me, fit my dad fine, though.
L1A1: Angle of the pistol grip was OK, but the front of it was a bit too squared off, can probably be changed with little trouble. Should be easy enough to change and has a bonus of taking metric FAL mags.
FAL (Imbel): Pistol grip was perfect, felt like the gun was made for me. The rear sight, while cheesey in comparison to the M1A would be sufficient for my purposes (I mentioned match shooting, some competitions my club has allow optics). The guy had the gun for either $525 or $575, don't remember which. I would have bought it, but he wouldn't take a check.

If I'm spending $1200 on a .308 battle rifle, I'll probably only get one. If I can get a good FAL for under $600, I may be able to get both with a little fiscal responsibility.

I did examine some CETMEs, but they looked to have the same grip angle as the G3 I looked at.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:21:37 PM EDT
Howdy six

If you want a rifle you can upgrade then the M1A is the way to go.It's also easier to replace parts if needed making it user friendly.Just get Scott Duffs book.

I have found many M1A's just under $1,000.Try to find one with USGI parts as they seem to be higher in value.Parts are still somewhat avilable so you should get what you can,when you can.Gas cylinders,bolts and USGI barrels are getting very scarce these days.Wilson is coming out with barrels in October sometime.

I recently found more gas cylinders and bolts in my warehouse.It seems that others have sold about all they had of these.No,I'm not trying to sell ya anything.I do have parts for these if ya need them though.

If you want more than 1 battle type rifle then you can't go wrong with the FAL either.Barrels,recoil springs and such are harder to change out though,but parts are readily available.

I personally like the M14 style rifle.It has a true rifle type stock which feels good to me.I associate pistol gripped style rifles for close up work.AR15's are good choices for close up work.

HTH
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:09:16 PM EDT
Buy the FAL or an L1A1... hard to beat $5 mags, plenty of spare parts, ease of maintenance, utter reliability. I have an M1A, just not a big fan of them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:58:26 PM EDT
going through the same motions and decided that the "right arm of the free world" was the best choice
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 6:53:02 AM EDT

If I'm spending $1200 on a .308 battle rifle, I'll probably only get one. If I can get a good FAL for under $600, I may be able to get both with a little fiscal responsibility.
True enough.

If you located a $30000 automobile and a $15000 automobile, you could also buy two of the lower priced ones instead of one of the more expensive ones. It is your decision.

I would like to consider the following.

Unless you really know firearms, is it really a good decision on your part to buy a firearm from a guy without a fixed business location or whose fixed business location is 200 miles away when you decide that you have a problem.

Secondly, every day there are complaints on the boards against certain low end manufacturers. Do you really want to be one of those people who posts a comment like "I thought I was getting a good deal, but the $200 rifle knockoff is not performing like the standard $1000 rifle from the manufacturer who stands behind his warranty."
Yes, not many people buy colt government models manufactured by Colt anymore. But I don't read complaints about Colt manufactured Colts.

Thirdly, do you really want to spend all of your free time in the garage fixing the low priced special, running to or mailing to repair stations?

It is true that I have purchased firearms from recognized manufacturers that have had problems from the box and had them fixed. Conversely, I have never had to post that I bought a knockoff which I really thought would perform like the real thing.

There are fine people who build M1As or FNs or FNFALs identified on the web and who are not thre original manufacturer. However, they don't sell anything for $600. It starts with you providing the basics and them charging you $600.

One of my trainers once said to me "How much is your life worth?"

Enuf said.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:20:28 AM EDT
bcochran

Could not agree more.

If I were a FAL gunsmith, I might take a chance on a Century Arms or other low end rifle. But I am not.

And you might get a DSA rifle that doesn't work.

But I DID get a defective DSA rifle. The difference is - they made it right. I sent it in, they looked at it (couldn't recreate the problem but believed me), polished chamber and reamed gas hole, and now I have a 100% rifle.

I also bought an ASA AR15 carbine. What a nightmare. Even though I live within 30 minutes drive of them, and went back NINE TIMES with essentially the same problem, they could not make it right. And they insulted me to boot.

This is why you log in here to find out which manufacturers stand by their products, and spend accordingly.

If I were in his shoes, and I needed a reliable 308 battlerifle, I would get a DSA in a heartbeat. I would pay the price to be sure I got what I wanted.

Or, I would pay attention to the sales boards here and other sights, learn who are the legitimate dealers and or members, and what are the going rates for what I want, and wait til the right deal came along.

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 3:23:45 PM EDT

Unless you really know firearms, is it really a good decision on your part to buy a firearm from a guy without a fixed business location or whose fixed business location is 200 miles away when you decide that you have a problem.

Depends on what you mean about "really know firearms" actually. I'm comfortable doing some things like light polishing, disassembly/reassembly, some parts replacing, and can follow written directions well (especially if there are pictures). I don't claim to know everything about any one type of gun, but I'd be more than happy to learn. As far as buying from businesses quite a ways away, at that show, I bought a Mauser from a guy out of Gore, OK, which is roughly 75 miles from me without a though. I doubt I'll have a problem, but if I do, I know he's at every major show, because I've seen him before. That's a bit reassuring. I've bought stuff from folks in Bethany, OK before too (109 miles the other direction, towards OKC). Again, they're at every major show.

Other than that, your point is well taken. Since the guy wouldn't take a check, I didn't buy the gun. If he would have, I'd have looked it over real good to make sure it was as much Imbel as possible (Imbel has a good rep as far as I know and casts parts for Springfield Armory).

The debate is still up in the air, but I do at least know that I like them both. At $1200 a pop, I will probably only get one, but it will be tough to decide which. With a lot of fiscal responsibility (as opposed to a little), I might be able to swing both over time. Let's just hope our goofy politicians leave us alone for a while.

I'm just gonna have to shop around. Purchase will probably be this October (BIG gun show), so I'll know by then (I hope).
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 2:50:35 AM EDT
Go with the DSA, it's the Cady of FAL's. Sure the starting price of $1375 is sort of up there, but as others here gave stated, in the end, you do get what you pay for.

I have a DSA FAL by the by, so I'm sort of partial!
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:59:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sniper_408:
Go with the DSA, it's the Cady of FAL's. Sure the starting price of $1375 is sort of up there, but as others here gave stated, in the end, you do get what you pay for.

or you can order the STG58 instead of the SA58. It has a retail of 950 but have been spotted for about 100 dollars cheaper
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:08:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:12:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MickeyMouse:
My suggestion is buy the FAL. I am not a fan of the M1A/M14.

If you HAVE to do a M1a, Chinese Polytech and a headspace gage. When and IF it gets out of tolerance, have it fixed.

Best of both worlds and on a budget to boot!

u can always get a USGI bolt fitted to replace the chicom one. Smith Enterprise does the conversion and a whole lot of other stuff to the Chicom Rifles
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:21:47 AM EDT
If you go the FAL route, you might want to look at some of the other builders out there. www.falfiles.com is a good reference site and is where all the FAL guru's hang out. I have one built buy Derek at Azex arms and would put it up against anything that DSA builds. You have a lot of good choices, without breaking the bank.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:24:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hoplite:

Originally Posted By Sniper_408:

or you can order the STG58 instead of the SA58. It has a retail of 950 but have been spotted for about 100 dollars cheaper

$795 at FAC
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:03:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:14:58 AM EDT
I recently built a G1 FAL with a new Imbel rec. and all new gas system parts , the rifle shoots 1 MOA all day long . The problem is that it doe's not have a reciprocating bolt, in other words , if the 1st round don't chamber ,your in trouble. I would go with the M1A.
Top Top