Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/4/2003 12:39:36 PM EDT
This weekend I shot some 168gr Federal GMM in my M1A, and noticed quite a bit of brass residue on the bolt face and other areas around the action. I remember reading that Federal brass is softer than some others.

Would Black Hills be better suited (if it has harder brass) for the M1A? Or, does it really make a difference?

Thanks,

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:56:45 PM EDT
I have shot some of that Federal gold Medal Match and had the same problem with excess brass particles.It's also true that Federal brass is a bit softer.

For that reason I load my own using military brass.Winchester brass is a bit harder but I don't kmow if they make match ammo.I think Remington makes match ammo and may be worth a look.

You might be able to find some military match ammo as well.That stuff shoots real well too if you can find it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:51:06 PM EDT
Although Federal is soft, I've had the same problem with LC Match 168 gr ammo in a newly built M-1A with all GI parts. The problem was that the new extractor had some sharp edges that shaved particles from the brass cases. A little stoning of the sharp edges eliminated the problem.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:00:39 PM EDT
Thanks. I normally shoot Port ball out of my standard M1A, but was experimenting with match just to see what the rifle would do.

I'll look around for some other match ammo. I see the occasional Lake City (with lot numbers removed) at the shows every once in a while, but was looking in the direction of Black Hills.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:33:48 AM EDT
Zmeja,
You might also see if you can find some of the PMC Silver Match ammo to try. They use 168gr SMKs and last week I shot them and the Federal GMM all into the same group. Same general accuracy with a 25% cheaper price than Federal - not too shabby.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 9:07:35 AM EDT
so what kind of groups can you get with gmm, fired out of a standard gun
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 4:47:18 PM EDT
Well, I've actually fired only 4 match rounds out of the gun, and, along with the Port ball, am getting inconsistent results. The tightest group of Port ball I got at 100 yds was a little greater than 1" (3 shots), but with GMM 168 gr, I got 3" (4 shots). I had been firing for most of the hot, Texas afternoon, trying to allow the barrel to cool down some, but would like to try a full box of match before I make up my mind. So far the rifle has only 244 rounds through it.

-Zmeja
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:00:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:58:35 AM EDT
Try Lake City match, that uses the 175gr. Sierra Match King projectile.
Very accurate and harder brass (not Federal).

Semper Fi

Top Top