Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2003 4:57:25 PM EDT
Need to know who is currently making M14 type semi-auto only receivers.  I would prefer forged since I already have a Springfield.  I've heard that the forged receivers ring when fired, as opposed to the "thunk" of cast ones...any truth to that?  Not really a huge concern of mine.  I hear Enterprise is making forged receivers...anyone know if they are any good?  Was it Smith Enterprise that used to make them as well?  Let me know.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, Smith Enterprise in Tempe AZ uised to make excellent recievers.  I bet he could sell quite a few if he did another run of them.

But he isn't to my knowledge.  However, there is a good company making good cast ones:

Armscorp - quote from their site

===============================
Manufacturing the best M14 semi-auto receivers Doesn’t Happen by Magic. Because they are machined right here in our own state of the art CNC machine shop and are the standard by which others are judged – so you know they are right. Unlike others, we do not sub-contract our work out so you know the quality is there! They are made from 8620 certified steel  investment castings and are heat-treated to Rockwell C56-58 with the case depth of .012 to .018 inches. All tolerances are consistently correct and to the most recent USGI specifications. They are the foundation of a good shooting M14 rifle. Tested time after time.

========================================

As to cast versus forged, that might have been an issue 40 years ago when Garands were being made.  But with todays metalurgy and quality controls a cast reciever will outlive you and your kids.  And probably 15 barrels.

Springfield Armory is also a repurtable company.

Here is Armscorps page;

armscorpusa.com

And Springfield  Armory ]www.springfield-armory.com/prod-rifles.shtml]

Not sure if SA sells stripper recievers though.  

Try battlerifles.com also for more info.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Presently, these companies are producing M14 type receivers:

Springfield Armory, Inc.
LRB
Entreprise Arms
Armscorp

I would try Champions Choice to see if they have any stripped Springfield Armory receivers if Springfield Armory doesn't have any spares.  Fulton Armory is now offering semi-auto M14 receivers with their name but the buzz is that Armscorp is making receivers for Fulton Armory according to Fulton Armory specifications.  I've read mixed reviews on the Entreprise Arms receivers.  I have a friend that has one and it is sweet.  Fit and finish are outstanding.  Springfield Armory and Armscorp are investment cast.  Entreprise Arms recievers are CNC machined from billet.  How is their billet made?  Their web site doesn't say but my SWAG is that it is hot rolled billet not forged.  LRB is machining forgings supplied to them from an unidentified source.  Mixed reviews on the dimensional geometry on the LRB receivers.  According to Ted Brown, M14 gunsmith in Oregon, the LRB receivers coming off the line now are good dimensionally.  FWIW
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:31:39 AM EDT
[#3]
No truth to the ringing of a Forged parts over the thud of Cast. Just fiction. WD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top