Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2003 7:07:28 AM EDT
Howdy!

What are the tricks of the trade as to refinishing a fiberglass GI M1A stock?

The brown color is not cutting it for me anymore.  I currently have sanded it lightly, applied a fiberglass primer and am attempting to paint this stock a flat black.

Unfortunately, the flat black paint is not sticking very well and the primer also it having problem adhering to the stock.

Also, any suggestions about how to fill the selector cutout would be appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
use fiberglass from murrays auto store, you can do it, mix it with the cloth, plug the hole, sand it when it dries, and use an epoxy primer for the first coat over the glass, then paint it with whatever you want, epoxy primer has always worked good for me on glass and plastic car parts for getting the paint to stay put, lemme know how it goes dude
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Got a trade name for the epoxy primer you use?  Sounds like a good tip.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#3]
YOU DON"T NEED PRIMER.
I painted about 20 of those GI fiberglass stocks and had no problems.

Just make  sure the old brown paint is clean,that's all.Use a laundry soap and rinse well.

I have a camo stock I can show you.I did it 2 months ago and the paint don't peel.You don't need epoxy either.

If you want black it's even easier.Brownells has some epoxy stuff called spray grit and it sticks like glue.Just make sure you spray it from at least 12"-15" away.

I don't know how to post a picture or I would.I can email it though.

As for filling the cut out.All you need is automotive fiberglass resin.This type of resin will flex enough so it doesn't crack and come out.Be sure to rough up the area you fill so it sticks to the old fiberglass.

Link Posted: 7/10/2003 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#4]
i was referring to regular auto resin/cloth fiberglass, and the epoxy i use is from ppg, it is for automotive use, if your stock is not clean, make sure it is, the other guy says it can just be painted, but if you have cleaned it, and it is still flaking and will not stick, i would use ppg epoxy primer, it is what it says it is, primer/epoxy mix, yunno, superglue primer, it covers everything well, and does not peel or flake off, and it is also very hard to sand, like a rock, and this stuff will allow any paint to stick to it like glue also, if you have acess to an air spray gun and a compressor you can use it, i have some spare if you do, it is a two part deal, mix, spray, and clean out the spray gun really fast or it is toast, lemme know what happens
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
avengeusa,
         I agreed with you on the auto grade fiberglass resin.Automotive grade resin is polyester and will flex much more than epoxy.

As far as filling the selector,he can use a platic or metal flat stock of some sort (which I hold in place with duct tape) and will keep the fiberglass and resin in place.

Epoxy paint is the best stuff to use.It can be painted over in any camo design you want.

The brownells spray grit has primer in it which saves time and hassle of priming.That stuff works great.

PPG paint is good stuff also.Good enough that I painted my Harley with it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I build a dam on the backl side of the selector cutout with popsicle sticks, duct tape and wax paper. i fill the cutout with jb weld. I paint with krylon military paint, no priner. final coat is  matte clear coat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top