Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/14/2003 7:20:05 PM EDT
Hey guys, I was looking at the Sportsmans Guide catalog and saw the Portuguese 308 Nato surplus ammo. I was curious about the velocities that he states for it. It says the muzzle velocity was 2,252 with a muzzle energy of 1,655 ft-lbs. Is this pretty low end? Looking at the Federal American Eagle ammo on the next page, the stats were 2,820 and 2,650 respectively. I have shot the Port before in my M1A with one slam fire(a double shot)in 400 rnds, except for that it was pretty accurate and reliable. What do you guys think about the Port stuff? Anyone else ever had a slam fire or other problems with it?

Thanks for the time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:27:19 PM EDT
Port is great stuff. I heard some dope say he had a failure to fire, but I have never heard of slam fires!

It's over twenty years old, but when I opened my Sportsmans guide port it looked like last week's production.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:27:37 AM EDT
30 round sample I tested averaged 2619 fps from my M14 Rifle.

Pretty wide range of velocities, though.

Slamfire? Nah, you pulled the trigger a second time or the hammer fell. This ammo has military primers and ain't gonna fire from firing pin inertia.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:30:20 AM EDT
Thanks guys. Chuck, the velocities you got sound more on par for a good 308 round. With the slam fire or whatever happened, my sister was actually shooting. I was over her shoulder when it happened. I thought maybe she my might not have been holding the rifle tight enough and somehow worked the trigger twice, but the concensus at the store I bought it was that it was a slam fire. Who knows? I will probably try to pick up a case of it in the near future anyway.
Thanks again guys.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:43:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:57:36 PM EDT
I'll bet the trigger was pulled, especially if the rifle wasn't being held tightly. Ever hear of bump firing, that's how it's done.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:40:05 PM EDT
Just wanted to say thanks again.

Also, man do I love my M1A.
Top Top