Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2003 12:18:29 AM EDT
I have been dabbling with the idea of scoping my pre-ban M1A National Match for some time now. But lately I have changed my mind regarding the type of optic I want to use. Instead of using a high power scope without much in the way of field of view, I have considered getting an ACOG instead. I am assuming the ACOG would give me nice, fast and accurate shots at closer ranges and still allow me better long range accuracy than say, an Aimpoint. In fact, in the latest edition of American Rifleman, I saw a similar set-up being used as a designated marksman rifle in Afghanistan.

What type of mounting hardware will I need to mount one of these on an M1A? Will any or all of these mounts allow the use of irons as well? How do you like these set-ups?

And one more thing, I have also considered replacing the stock with a sythetic or fiberglass type. I would put the wooden one away soemwhere for keeping as they are pretty. I wouldn't mind having a camo stock of some type similar to what the Delta guys were using in Blackhawk Down. Any ideas on stock options?

Thanks,

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:05:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Every sight Trijicon makes is an ACOG, including the Reflex and telscsopic models.  Got a specific model in mind?

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Chuck,

The one I am speaking of is the ACOG 4X32 scope. It is the model with the self luminous reticle with built in range finder and aiming points out to 800 yards. Sorry for not being specific the first time, I had just always heard everyone refer to these as the ACOG while the others were just called the Reflex.

Would I have to get one caliber specific for .308? Kinda seems like these were intended for use on the AR-15. I'm not even sure what reticle type I want....crosshair, T, chevron, etc. I really don't know much about these scopes other than they are very high quality, don't require batteries and are more suitable at longer ranges than the Aimpoint.

Thanks,

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:45:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a Smith Enterprise mount on my M1A and REALLY like it. It was a bit tricky to get it on & aligned just right, but once you get it set the way it needs to be, it WILL NOT come loose. It has a "channel" down the center so you can use your iron sights without having to remove the mount.

The price direct from Smith Enterprise is about $200 delivered. Not cheap, but then again, QUALITY seldom is...

www.smithenterprise.com

As far as synthetic stocks go, e-mail me. I may have what you're looking for...at a reasonable price...

[email protected]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#4]
TA-01B is calibrated to 7.62mm NATO.  Straight crosshair as far as I can tell.  I can't determine how it's used as a range finder from what I can find on the web.  Has a 1-1/2" eye relief, pretty short if you wear glasses.  Remember, these scopes were developed for the M16 which has pretty light recoil.

For a full caliber rifle I prefer a longer eye relief, such as the 3" on the IOR M2 scope.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The ACOG will do everything you are asking for. It dosen't have a rangefinder, but it does have a bullet drop compensator. You want one of the 7.62 mm calibrated optics because the ones made for the 5.56 mm round are going to throw your POA\POI off. The 5.56 mm is also calibrated differently for the M-4 and M-16 rifles, so it pays to get the right one.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 5:06:18 AM EDT
[#6]
It will be VERY high.
Too high, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Cinci is right.  It'll be too high even with an ARMS 18 or Smith mount (both low profile).  You'll need to incorporate an adjustable comb.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#8]

This is how the military does it. TA11 on a Smith or Brookfield M14 mount and a TA51.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#9]
If that DM pulls the trigger, he's going to have a nice ring around the eye...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top