Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2003 10:43:14 AM EDT
I bought some M2 '06 corrosive ammo (suspect it is anyway) "LC 52 Head stamp". I want to save my Black tip M2 stuff for a rainy day.
I'd like to shoot it thru my DCM Garand. The rifle is a shooter and I paid $300 for it delivered.
Not a bad deal for a shootable Garand...

I have the Garand combo tool and a copy of Scott Duffs book, but he doesn't address where to clean (or how) after shooting corrosive ammo.
Advice would be appriciated.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#1]
There is no good reason to shoot corrosive primers thru your M1 Rifle unless the barrel is shot out or marginal.  If the barrel date matches the serial number date I'd not personally do this.

Corrosive primers are not the anti-Christ, but do take a lot of effort afterwards.  You must remove any and all copper fouling or the corrosive salts will be plated over under them and eat the barrel steel.

There's plenty of good M2 Ball around, shoot up your "black tip" it's not as good an antipersonnel bullet as ball.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#2]
"shooter" or not, it's a piece of history.. please take care of it.

plenty of clean korean and danish ammo out there to burn up.

I'll only run that corrosive stuff thru my Turk Mauser ($38.00)  it's bolt action and real easy to clean.  The M1's gas system adds to the amount of cleaning.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot corrosive ammo in my M-1. I clean it properly. I have no worries. I have a decent quantity of WWII era surplus M-2 and M-2AP. Why have it if I can't shoot it? I also have a decent quantity of WWII era G.I. bore cleaner, the really stinky stuff. It works but everyone in the house knows when I'm using it. Water and ammonia based solvents are said to work well. Navy Arms sells corrosive ammo cleaner on their surplus rifles web site. Clean the barrel, bore, chamber and gas system with cleaner designed for corrosive primers. Don't worry so much about everything else. The primers are the concern and unless you get a blow out, it's all going forward rather than backward. I follow up my cleaning for corrosive ammo with a normal cleaning with Hoppes or similar product. Sure, it's extra effort but I'm not going to trash perfectly good ammo. I'm more cheap than I am lazy.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot corrosive ammo in many of my C&R rifles, including my Garand.

As soon as you are done shooting, spray Windex (or other glass cleaner with ammonia in it) down the barrel and on the bolt.

Take home and clean well.

I have shot a few thousand rounds of corrosive ammo using my M1 Garand, K98K Mauser, and 1917 Enfield. I have never had a problem!

People who do not clean their guns after shooting corrosive ammo have problems.

Av.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top