Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2003 7:26:04 AM EDT
I think I now qualify for the CMP purchase program.

I was pondering what to buy. I want to buy a good shooter Garand with a good bore that will last for a long time. I was wondering:

Is there a difference in the quality of the Danish and the US Garands? (Seeing as how the Danish guns were loans, I would think not...)

Do the H&R Garands tend to be in better shape than the SA Garands? (Justifying their longer wait times?)

I was thinking that a Danish Garand with the VAR barrel (ensuring the barrel would be as new as possible) would be the way to go. Do those of you who have made previous CMP buys agree with this approach?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The Danish VAR barrels are very good barrels. Better, in fact, than Springfield or Winchester barrels. Sometimes the wood on the Danish rifles isn't the greatest, but that's easily replaced.

I haven't kept up on the condition of the rifles coming out of CMP lately, but someone will chime in.

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#2]
i got a call today that said my Service grade ($500.00) is at the house.  can't wait to try it out.

with regard to barrel life expect 1000 rounds per number.  service grade rifles measure a max of 5.  so you may get a 1 that is good for 4000 rounds or a 5 that needs a new barrel to be a "target shooter".  most rifles will shoot 2 MOA past a #5 but who knows what you will get fron the CMP or how well it will shoot.    

Do the H&R Garands tend to be in better shape than the SA Garands? (Justifying their longer wait times?)

buy an H&R for name only.  don't expect to get a "better" looking or shooting rifle.

I was thinking that a Danish Garand with the VAR barrel (ensuring the barrel would be as new as possible) would be the way to go. Do those of you who have made previous CMP buys agree with this approach?

i don't think the VAR barrels are necessarily new.   i wouldn't bet money on it.  you are buying a piece of history not a target rifle.  if you want something that will be a shooter i would get a brand new SA garand
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have ordered over 20 m1's thru the cmp.

Your best bet is a service grade SA. Your chances of getting a good rifle are much better.
 Of all the Danes I have gotten only 2 were as nice as most of the service grades and the rest 6, were complete dogs compared to SA service grades...
 VAR barrels are not any better than anyone elses, it's just that a lot of the DANES have had new barrels installed before the danes sent them back and even if you order a dane w/var the odds are the barrel as well as the rifle overall will be well used.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Standard service grade SA...Roger that. I will go that route.

Anyone bought an M1903A3 from the CMP?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:22:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a Springfield M1 from CMP and had to replace the barrel before I could fire it safely because the chamber was so eroded. I had it sent to Springfield Armory.  It cost about $200 on top of the $500 for the rifle plus the $20 shipping.  I am very happy with it now.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:46:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I bought a Springfield M1 from CMP and had to replace the barrel before I could fire it safely because the chamber was so eroded. I had it sent to Springfield Armory.  It cost about $200 on top of the $500 for the rifle plus the $20 shipping.  I am very happy with it now.  

I have great success with CMP. I think you would have no problem getting CMP to rebarrel the rifle or swapping out the rifle if it had a corroded chamber.They are very good people to deal with.Now if you really wnated a new barrel on your baby, you did good.WarDawg
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have great success with CMP. I think you would have no problem getting CMP to rebarrel the rifle or swapping out the rifle if it had a corroded chamber.They are very good people to deal with.Now if you really wnated a new barrel on your baby, you did good.WarDawg

That's right.  A rifle with excess headspace or a rusted or pitted barrel should not have passed inspection.  CMP would have replaced the bolt or barrel for you at no charge.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Why would anyone re-barrel a CMP M-1? When you receive an M-1 from the CMP, if there is any problem at all, they will happily give you a refund or exchange, no questions asked. I've seen more than a dozen CMP M-1's that have been purchased by me and friends of mine. I've never seen so much as a rust stain on the exterior. I've never seen a pit on a bore. One came with a cracked stock. They exchanged it no questions asked and did not ask for the old stock. The customer service at the CMP is first rate. They will make sure you are satisfied.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top