Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 9:20:51 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I am heading over to the CMP store at Camp Perry in the morning (Thursday 5/15) to buy my first Garand. I have all the paper work complete, and picking it out should be fun. Anything in particular I should watch out for? I am looking for a Springfield with a walnut stock the ones for $500. Any other thoughts would sure help me out!

Thanks,
Eric

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:09:58 AM EDT
I have heard that the stock of Service grade Springfields ($500), is few and far between at the store, and that they are quite often sold out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:43:32 AM EDT
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know what I ended up getting. I had a ball there, spent almost three hours looking at the various offerings. I just wish I had had more cash with me. Well anyway, I ended up getting a really nice Springfield, SN #5,332,xxx with a nice Walnut stock. The bolt is a HRA and the trigger group is Winchester. The barrel is looks unused and in fact the entire rifle was not used very much. The stock has some handling dings, but is in pretty nice shape. All in all, I am very happy with my purchase. I have looked at allot of Garands in the last 12 months and this one is one of the best I have seen and actually the cheapest. So for a run down, I shot at my first John C. Garand match on May 10 and on May 15 I had my first CMP rifle in my hand. I don't think that's a normal turnaround time. And BTW, the decision was tough as there where lot's of nice rifles to choose from. The selection was great!

Thanks,
Eric
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:19:11 AM EDT
Eric --

I was in the CMP store a week ago today. What'd they have when you were there, probably 50 or more M1 Rifles? They had some nice M1903 and A3s too. For anyone in the area they now have Saturday hours and are closed (IIRC) on Monday.

A couple of guys were buying stripped receivers and had a box of gages with them, so they at least looked like they knew what they were doing.

-- CHuck
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:12:43 AM EDT
Good going Eric. I a big Garand fan also. Why I never met a Garand I didn't like....WarDawg
Top Top