Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 7:04:45 PM EDT
I am looking at buying a Pre-ban M1A and putting a folding stock on it for riding the ATV around the hills.

Does anyone know where I can get one?

I am looking for a black synthetic stock if possible.

Thank you,

SOG Sniper
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't seen one of the Choate stocks for a while, but Reese Surplus has some BM-59 like folding stocks now.

They look uncomfortable, but they are compact.

www.reesesurplus.com
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 5:23:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Templar-

Yeah, I looked at the Reese Surplus ones - I agree with you, they do look uncomfortable. I was really looking for the Choate synthetic but they don't make them any more. I would like a used one if it is in good condition.

Thanks for the help,

SOG Sniper
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#3]
IMHO shooting a .308 with a tube/fold stock would hurt like a bitch.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm more worried about strength and accuracy than pain. I hate when collapsable and folding stocks get loose and move when trying to hold a target.

The SF taught me pain is temporary, pride is forver - but then again I'm not in anymore (I might consider a pussy pad on the butt after shooting it for long). Seriously, I'm not too worried about it.

SOG Sniper
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a BM-59 stock not fit an M14/M1A?  The BM-59 is a modified Garand receiver, so it is longer than the M14 receiver, plus the forend is closer to the length of a Garand stock, so it would be too short. I've thought about using one of those stocks for an M1N (Garand in .308 w/ M14 gas system), but assumed I would have to patch together an extension for the forend.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Staying on the topic of WECSOG modifications to stocks, has anyone thought of trying to attach an  M4 style telescoping stock to an E2 stock? Not sure how you'd fashion the attachment points, but IMVHO collapsible stocks are far superior to folding stocks. Just a crazy idea from a crazy Texan.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:40:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I dont believe the BM59 stock will fit an M14/M1A.  The M1A's front portion is longer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Reese sells the BM 59 style folding stocks for the M14/M1A as well, you just have to tell him that it's for a M1A.

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Equpiment Exchange has one listed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Reese sells the BM 59 style folding stocks for the M14/M1A as well, you just have to tell him that it's for a M1A.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11977

Hmmm...

Looks kinda handy to me, but I'm a little concerned how that skinny rod of the folding portion of the stock will hold up...Not to mention a good cheek-weld. Looks potentially painful.

The most painful .308 I've shot was a real HK G3A4 with the collapsable stock. After two mags fired fairly rapidly using short bursts on full-auto, my right cheek looked like it had had a set of railroad tracks ground into it. It left a mark that lasted for a couple of days...
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Templar,

Thanks for the information on the reese stocks. Do you know if they are the manufacturer or the distributer?  If they make them themselves, I wonder how much extra they'd charge to make one that would fit an M1 receiver and an M14 barrel and gas system.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top