Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2017 4:10:58 PM EDT
In every picture I see of a 12.5" 870, it appears the barrel is slightly longer than the mag tube and cap.
Is this a photography illusion is would a flush barrel actually be shorter like 12.4" etc?

I'm trying to formulate some notes to send to Steve at RAS
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not just put a piece of masking tape around the barrel, install the barrel, and mark where you want it cut?

ETA: I had him cut mine at 12.5, but I wanted it slightly longer than the mag tube cap.  I figured I might switch out the cap someday, and a different cap would throw off a perfectly-matched length anyway.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I cut my own but taped it while it was installed to figure out how long it needed to be. Mine looks longer in the bottom photo but really isn't.

Just mock it up and tape it where you want it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not just put a piece of masking tape around the barrel, install the barrel, and mark where you want it cut?

View Quote

That is a good way to do it
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In every picture I see of a 12.5" 870, it appears the barrel is slightly longer than the mag tube and cap.
Is this a photography illusion is would a flush barrel actually be shorter like 12.4" etc?

I'm trying to formulate some notes to send to Steve at RAS
View Quote

Mine is 12.5 and it is longer than the tube, looks natural though, no optical illusion .. Didn't measure ever but I would say not even 1/8" over

Hated paying to send it out and get it cut by RAS but if I didn't get it threaded I would imagine I would never even use it. With choke options you can shoot 3-gun, without you really are just stuck shooting at pumpkins hah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top