Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2016 2:57:45 PM EDT
I was looking at the LuckyGunner site on his Remington 870 SBS : http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/remington-870-sbs/

As the barrel is easily removed and replaced with another what is the legality of having the short barrel registered as an NFA item and then swapping the barrel out, say, to shoot some skeet?

Are you allowed to do that because the gun itself is registered NFA whether or do you HAVE to keep it in its NFA configuration?
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can convert it to a non-NFA configuration at any time you want to. When you do that, there are several things you can do:
1. Cross state lines without permission
2. Hunt where SBSs aren't allowed
3. Sell shotgun as a GCA firearm

And then return it to SBS config whenever you're ready.
View Quote

In the context of the buyer in #3 of your list, I don't think the last line of your post would apply without another $200 making tax occurring...right?
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You can convert it to a non-NFA configuration at any time you want to. When you do that, there are several things you can do:
1. Cross state lines without permission
2. Hunt where SBSs aren't allowed
3. Sell shotgun as a GCA firearm

And then return it to SBS config whenever you're ready.
View Quote
Thanks for that. is it also the case that you do not need to have the gun NFA engraved until such time you are selling it?
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 1:43:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If they sold it as a GCA firearm, the new owner would file anther F1, pay their $200, and engrave again.
View Quote
That's assuming the new owner wants it to be an SBS again, of course. They could just leave it in Title I configuration (18"+). 
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was looking at the LuckyGunner site on his Remington 870 SBS : http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/remington-870-sbs/

As the barrel is easily removed and replaced with another what is the legality of having the short barrel registered as an NFA item and then swapping the barrel out, say, to shoot some skeet?

Are you allowed to do that because the gun itself is registered NFA whether or do you HAVE to keep it in its NFA configuration?
View Quote

This is exactly what I do (swap in a 26" trap barrel from time to time), and exactly why, on this gun, I decided to engrave the (short) barrel rather than the receiver.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is exactly what I do (swap in a 26" trap barrel from time to time), and exactly why, on this gun, I decided to engrave the (short) barrel rather than the receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, short barrel engraved, skeet and deer barrel swapped when needed.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#9]
What about swapping in a rifled slug barrel?  As a temporary configuration.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's not correct. It must be properly marked when it's made.
View Quote
^^+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
What about a short rifled barrel?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Things are exactly the same with them too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top