Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2016 1:21:55 PM EDT
Throwing around the idea of SBSing one of my Mossberg 500 Persuaders. Want to add ghost ring sights as well.

Once cut down the lug will have to be reattached to the barrel and the front sight ramp installed. Is there any reason why this could not be TIG welded? I ask because all I read about is people silver soldering these components on. The magazine tube is AISI 1010 cold drawn and has no weldability issues and the barrel is 4130 ordinance grade which also has no issues.

Am I missing something?

Note: I have been welding for 20+ years and have all the equipment to accomplish the task. I did see that Serbu welds their lug to the barrel. I reached out to them and asked but they were not willing to divulge any information.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I welded the lug on the two I built, I see no downside. I was more comfortable welding then brazing since I weld often.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
No downside. Many factory lugs are brazed or high-temp soldered.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I welded the lug on the two I built, I see no downside. I was more comfortable welding then brazing since I weld often.
View Quote

Thanks for the thoughts. Can you post a picture?
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Some Serbu pictures from the .net:

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top