Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2016 4:47:02 AM EDT
Been looking for a SxS or preferably an O/U to cut down. Most new O/U's are connected at the receiver and again at the muzzle end with space open in between. Meaning I would have to figure out a way to connect both barrels again once I cut them down. 

What guns or specifically what model and brands have y'all been using?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably a Baikal. Or just find you a Rossi coach gun, it's already short !
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
. . .  just find you a Rossi (or Stoeger, Baikal, CZ or Chinese) coach gun, it's already short !
View Quote

This is the right answer.

Any properly made double shotgun will have a gap between the barrels until they finally come together at the intended final length. They don't just slap two tubes together and weld them up.

Allow me to be the first to say there is a special place in hell reserved for people who chop up perfectly good shotguns. A well made double shotgun is a thing of beauty. A hacked up "coach gun" is an abomination. Turning one into the other is stupid. If you want a coach gun, buy a coach gun. You'll be happier.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes I would love the triple threat for an SBS but they are what 900 bucks? 

I guess there will be a special place in hell for me since I will cut down a perfectly good shotgun.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine is a stoeger side by side.

I love the crap out of it. I haven't even JB welded at the end of the barrels like I was originally going to...it hasn't seemed to care.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Should be getting my stamp in couple months, I'm going to chop my Stoeger to 10.25"

The only reason to buy a double barrel is to chop it up
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Should be getting my stamp in couple months, I'm going to chop my Stoeger to 10.25"

The only reason to buy a STOEGER double barrel is to chop it up . . .
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I did a savage 311   As said above if I could pick up a triple threat I'd do one of them.  You can pick up a savage for less than a new stoeger and it is so much better of a gun
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I made a Bears Bark out of a Stoeger O/U 12 ga that I picked up for $185.  The rib between the upper and lower barrels runs almost the entire length of the barrels.  I cut mine down to 10.25" so that there would be 1/4" of the rib left.  It was solid all the way down, not hollow anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Allow me to be the first to say there is a special place in hell reserved for people who chop up perfectly good shotguns. A well made double shotgun is a thing of beauty. A hacked up "coach gun" is an abomination. Turning one into the other is stupid. If you want a coach gun, buy a coach gun. You'll be happier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. . .  just find you a Rossi (or Stoeger, Baikal, CZ or Chinese) coach gun, it's already short !

Dudenal, you're so not getting the point ... . These are specialty/niche weapons,  so one uses what one can get a hold of as the doner SXS.

Below is a pic of what was once a mediocre 20ga Stevens 311H SXS with 28" tubes. Forgot what "Uncle Bob" bought it for back in the '80s. Regardless, he hardly shot it, and I never really cared for it as a upland bird snuffer.

One beautiful $200 tax stamp later, however, and it was converted into an awesome post-apocalyptic Mad-Max blaster, which it excels at majorly with its now-shortened (8.5") tubes and Bisley-shaped pistol grip.

Did I mention how cooly awesome it is?

Get a SXS, submit the F-1, pay the tax, then build it.

You can thank me later ...

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Found a Gazelle Spa300 I think it's called for $325. Gun looks like new in box. 
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Ran into my first problem already.  After trying to get the stock off I can now see a bolt that runs up into the receiver through a hollow milled out of the buttstock.  This will pose a problem when the stock gets cut to a pistol grip.  I could either glue a piece in and shape it all up or I guess I could cut it short of the bolt and figure out a new buttplate.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ran into my first problem already.  After trying to get the stock off I can now see a bolt that runs up into the receiver through a hollow milled out of the buttstock.  This will pose a problem when the stock gets cut to a pistol grip.  I could either glue a piece in and shape it all up or I guess I could cut it short of the bolt and figure out a new buttplate.
View Quote

Use a shorter bolt.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Use a shorter bolt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use a shorter bolt.

This, if you can find one in the length and thread pitch you need ...

Or, a good tool & die guy can chop the original bolt to whatever length you need, and re-thread it to fit the the receiver again.

Locktite the threads and screw the bolt back on tight.  Then fill the hole in the grip with that wood-filler gunk, let it dry (or cure), then sand to blend with the shape of the grip, and restrain to whatever color you want.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top