Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2016 4:59:39 PM EDT
https://www.slickguns.com/product/custom-remington-870-shorty-14-non-nfa-no-stamp-579?mobile=true

So I have that same grip...  is it because mines a shotgun that i have to keep it 18, and not a aow?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't start with a firearm that's ever had a butt stock on it. You have to use a virgin new receiver, or firearm that left the factory as a rear pistol-grip-only model.
Registering above firearm as an AOW (optional) exempts you from the OAL requirement. $200 registration tax / $5 transfer.

If it's already had a stock attached at some point, you must register it as a SBS to go <18". No other option.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I read a bunch about this on a couple of places, including some of the actual law. What I got from it, and I'm not a lawyer, was basically this:

If you take a shotgun that's only ever been pistol grip AND put that pistol grip on it AND keep it over 26" overall you can cut the barrel down to about 14". Id had something to do with the fact that PG shotguns are sold as firearms not long guns (it's why you have to be 21 to get one) so it's a work around to the 18" barrel requirement, and it's not a registered AOW/SBS/SBR no stamp needed.

HOWEVER: this still doesn't fly in some states, and I don't think anyone has been arrested yet for having it. I thought it would make a good truck gun idea, but realistically an AR pistol is a better fit. I also didn't want to be the first one caught with this.

Do a bunch of reading before you decide if it's right for you. They sell full kits for the moss berg with 14" barrel and tube, etc, that would let you build this for about $210 on top of the base shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read a bunch about this on a couple of places, including some of the actual law. What I got from it, and I'm not a lawyer, was basically this:

If you take a shotgun that's only ever been pistol grip AND put that pistol grip on it AND keep it over 26" overall you can cut the barrel down to about 14". Id had something to do with the fact that PG shotguns are sold as firearms not long guns (it's why you have to be 21 to get one) so it's a work around to the 18" barrel requirement, and it's not a registered AOW/SBS/SBR no stamp needed.

HOWEVER: this still doesn't fly in some states, and I don't think anyone has been arrested yet for having it. I thought it would make a good truck gun idea, but realistically an AR pistol is a better fit. I also didn't want to be the first one caught with this.

Do a bunch of reading before you decide if it's right for you. They sell full kits for the moss berg with 14" barrel and tube, etc, that would let you build this for about $210 on top of the base shotgun.
View Quote
This is what I have been led to believe as well - buy a Mossberg with a factory pistol grip and you can have a short barrel on it.

edit: or like the one in the OP ..
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, I figured it had something to do with that.       I love my broom handle, one day I'll form 4 it and go below 12"  anyways.  It's handy for sure, but your right, a AR pistol would make a better trunk gun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Mossberg is selling these now.  No need to worry about getting arrested....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top