Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2016 1:44:36 PM EDT
I have two approved SBS that I need to get over to RAS.  One is a new 870 that will be cut down to 12.5", the other is a Sears and Roebuck branded Savage 720 from the '30's that will be cut down so that it is even with the mag tube.  I don't plan on suppressing the 870, and both will be range toys with the possibility of vermin control.  Is it worth getting either one of them threaded for choke tubes?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
When I had Steve @ RAS cut down my model 11, I had it done. I don't think I have changed it from a improved cyclinder choke since it was done, but I thought it was better to have it done with everything else, instead of at a later point, if I decided that I wanted it done. Better to have it and not use it, then want it and not have it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for info. My barrel is actually in the process of being cut down to 12.5 and I'm getting it threaded for a choke as well. My reasoning was pretty much the same as the poster above me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, probably better off getting it all done at once rather than having to send them back if I change my mind.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
When I asked, the general consensus was that it was a waste of money.  I did not have mine threaded and ended up just cutting the barrel down myself.

I would like to see some 12.5" 870's shot side by side - one with and one without choke to see what the difference really is, but based on my experience, I'm glad I didn't spend the money on having mine threaded.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#6]
So I had RAS thread my barrel for chokes when they cut it down. Is it practical to have a barrel this short done this way? Probably not. I have a Salvo that will be here in a week or two which will go on a couple different shotguns. So why not have the ability to put it on this. This is a 12.5" 870. Just my two cents.

" />
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a factory 14" barrel on my 870 with a fixed modified choke, that I used in a shotgun class a year ago. It performed as well as the longer-barreled shotguns there. The only discernible difference came from different loads. The Fed Flite Control ammo ammo patterned tighter than standard buckshot. Slugs shot as well from the shorty as from any other smoothbore.

I've got another barrel I plan to chop to 12.5", and I don't plan to have it threaded for chokes.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I went no tubes on the 870, I've shot enough SBS's over the years and never needed them to hit what I was aiming at.  It would be different if I was considering a Salvo.  Might do it, just to do it on the Sears Ranger.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I just finished a 12 and 20 gauge at 12"....no threads. If you're going to run a can or breacher/brake that might be the drive but I'm all for K.I.S.S.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top