Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2016 10:52:10 PM EDT
In my head I feel like laying the barrels in the crosshairs and pushed up against the backstop of the miter saw will "have to be" a straight cut, but will a barley uneven (not noticeable by looking at it) cut really make a difference? I mean I wont have chokes so I am just going to be spraying anyway at this point...
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

In my head I feel like laying the barrels in the crosshairs and pushed up against the backstop of the miter saw will "have to be" a straight cut, but will a barley uneven (not noticeable by looking at it) cut really make a difference? I mean I wont have chokes so I am just going to be spraying anyway at this point...
View Quote
100%

Especially if you don't solder the barrels and rib together before hand.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I used a hack saw on mine and went slow and then followed with a file. Wrap a sheet of notebook paper around the barrels and keep the paper aligned when wrapping, it gives you a true square edge as a reference.  
I did solder the barrels at the cut area.
Mine is a 9" 20ga Stevens 311. Both barrels still hit the same and pattern well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:32:07 AM EDT
[#3]
You guys talking about solder I am assuming it is done after the cut right? Got me a little 20ga Ithaca that I kind of want to cut down.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I just assumed they were talking about that empty space that is usually left in between the barrels. If you solder before the cut do you just heat up the rib or what? I guess I was thinking you might undo whatever is in there already.

You could fit everything I know about these old shotguns on a matchbook
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
When I did mine, I used a horizontal band saw. After which, I had the space between the barrels soldered. I can't see how one would solder, prior to cutting the barrel. The rib runs the entire length of the barrels?????
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a top rib and a bottom rib, so you can't get between the barrels without removing one of the ribs. Or, I suppose you could drill the bottom rib to allow you to drip solder between the ribs.

Cheaper shotguns have more parallel tubes and barrel sets are built on jigs, expensive shotguns have tubes which are more curved and barrel sets are built by hand. POI on expensive SxS shotguns is adjusted by the curve of the tubes, the adjustment of the barrels by heating the solder and moving the barrels and by honing the muzzles.

At the muzzle there is a steel fitting with roughly 1/4 moon shape on each side for the tubes which is soldered to hold the muzzles. If possible, removing that fitting and placing between the cut off barrels and soldering would be the way to go rather than just filling the gap with solder.

Fwiw, some cheaper shotguns are brazed rather than soldered and removing the muzzle fitting would be difficult.

JPK
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a top rib and a bottom rib, so you can't get between the barrels without removing one of the ribs. Or, I suppose you could drill the bottom rib to allow you to drip solder between the ribs.

Cheaper shotguns have more parallel tubes and barrel sets are built on jigs, expensive shotguns have tubes which are more curved and barrel sets are built by hand. POI on expensive SxS shotguns is adjusted by the curve of the tubes, the adjustment of the barrels by heating the solder and moving the barrels and by honing the muzzles.

At the muzzle there is a steel fitting with roughly 1/4 moon shape on each side for the tubes which is soldered to hold the muzzles. If possible, removing that fitting and placing between the cut off barrels and soldering would be the way to go rather than just filling the gap with solder.

Fwiw, some cheaper shotguns are brazed rather than soldered and removing the muzzle fitting would be difficult.

JPK
View Quote

Some pics for reference. Regarding the "dirty" pics. Barrel (left over from my SxS SBS conversion) was in a pile of metal, keeping the "barn" cat company!

Anyways.

Original barrel end, with solder joint from the factory:

Other end of the barrel above, post chop:

New "business end" of the SBS -not finished, end is getting milled and a bead sight installed-:

This is with the top rib peeled. You can see the small area that the solder populates! It is all about surface area. Notice the "spacer" left in, after the top and bottom rib had been soldered?

Hope the above help, in being able to tell how a SxS barrel setup is put together...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top