Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2016 12:12:38 PM EDT
I'm going to Form 1 a Mossberg PG shotgun into an AOW. If anyone out in ARF-Land has a Mossy SBS/AOW with a 2 or 3 shot magazine capacity could you contact me with the length of the mag tube and mag spring?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm going to Form 1 a Mossberg PG shotgun into an AOW. If anyone out in ARF-Land has a Mossy SBS/AOW with a 2 or 3 shot magazine capacity could you contact me with the length of the mag tube and mag spring?

Thanks.
View Quote

Why?
Making an AOW costs exactly the same as making an SBS...........and means you are stuck with an AOW.
If you ever want to add a shoulder stock you'll have to pay another $200.

Make an SBS and you can configure it any way you want.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why?
Making an AOW costs exactly the same as making an SBS...........and means you are stuck with an AOW.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Why?

He could be in a state that doesn't allow SBS. But otherwise your correct.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Why?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Why?

Because for now, I live in MA. This forked up state has a law prohibiting "sawed-off shotguns", which means you can't Form 1 a SBS. But you can purchase a factory SBS because it was never "sawed-off". I already have a factory 14" Mossy SBS. I want something like a Serbu Super Shorty, but I want to make it myself.

So, does anyone have measurements to help me out?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't a "weapon made from a shotgun" an SBS?
I thought you had to use a "virgin" receiver to make an AOW.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He said PG in the OP. If it's never had a stock, it's technically never been a shotgun...just a firearm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said PG in the OP. If it's never had a stock, it's technically never been a shotgun...just a firearm.

Yup, because in order to meet the statutory definition of a shotgun, it has to be fired from the shoulder.

Here's a thought about MA law vis a vis SBS': if the law prohibits "sawed off shotguns," but BATFE allows factory SBS' because they aren't sawed off, what's to stop them from approving a Form 1 for an SBS where the applicant certifies they will be using an OEM barrel, rather than sawing off their existing barrel? It would, for all intents and purposes, be no different than acquiring a factory SBS.

(Of course, I know the answer to my own question. What's stopping them is that is a logical request and BATFE is institutionally opposed to logic.)
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yup, because in order to meet the statutory definition of a shotgun, it has to be fired from the shoulder.

Here's a thought about MA law vis a vis SBS': if the law prohibits "sawed off shotguns," but BATFE allows factory SBS' because they aren't sawed off, what's to stop them from approving a Form 1 for an SBS where the applicant certifies they will be using an OEM barrel, rather than sawing off their existing barrel? It would, for all intents and purposes, be no different than acquiring a factory SBS.

(Of course, I know the answer to my own question. What's stopping them is that is a logical request and BATFE is institutionally opposed to logic.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would agree that it should be allowed if using a factory barrel to comply with the word of the law, but the ATF will not approve a Form 1 for an SBS in MA. I can own any transferable MG, SBR, and any AOW that resembles a firearm (no pen guns, cane guns, etc due to a law prohibiting "covert weapons), or a factory SBS, but I can't make my own SBS. That's MA for ya.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would agree that it should be allowed if using a factory barrel to comply with the word of the law, but the ATF will not approve a Form 1 for an SBS in MA. I can own any transferable MG, SBR, and any AOW that resembles a firearm (no pen guns, cane guns, etc due to a law prohibiting "covert weapons), or a factory SBS, but I can't make my own SBS. That's MA for ya.
View Quote

Then find an 07/02 in MA who will take your receiver (or any receiver) and add a short bbl........and he would use a Form 2.  That makes it a "factory" SBS.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Then find an 07/02 in MA who will take your receiver (or any receiver) and add a short bbl........and he would use a Form 2.  That makes it a "factory" SBS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not in Massachusetts' opinion. The SBS must have come from the ORIGINAL manufacturer as an SBS or else it's considered a "sawed-off" Shotgun. Because of MA law, the ATF will not approve any transfers of any SBSs in MA unless they left the original manufacturer in that configuration.

I was going to try that years ago when I wanted an 1897 Winchester with the barrel right at the end of the mag tube. I spoke with several manufacturers and they all said the ATF would not approve the transfer to me after they made it into an SBS. Using a factory short barrel doesn't make any difference. The ATF still won't allow it.

So, does anyone have a mag tube length for me?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

Mossy 500 SBS w/ KEG12 frontend
7 3/4 Mag tube
8 3/4 Mag spring
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top