Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2017 11:28:58 AM EDT
Am I an idiot?  Do I have to remove the heat shield to get a magpul rail section on it?

Thanks, guys!
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#1]
edit: im an idiot lol
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the heat shield is just soft aluminum. It pops right out, just held in place by some small tabs in the side of the handguard.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I remember the heatshield being riveted in.  I'll go double check.

Spank you
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I just slid the nuts under it and didn't need to remove it..
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
You can pop the heat shield out, or slide the t-nut in between it and the plastic. If we are talking A2-style, then the t-nut may be a little under-sized for the holes, but the problem is that the channel in the plastic is really only wide enough for the stock t-nuts.

It's not super-duper tacticool secure...but it's more than enough to hold a sling swivel, VFG, or light.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't take the heat shield out when I added a rail to mine... just slid the back plates under and held them in place with a skinny screw driver.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a section of rail from GG&G with holes spaced to match a standard handguard.
I put a vfg on it. The only issue I had was the looseness of the handguard. I ended up strapping it down.
If I remember right the whole affair cost more than an MOE HG and MVG. Though they weren't an option at the time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't remove the heat shield for the moe  rails. The metal insert has a channel it goes down to lock the rails to the handguard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top