Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chargerdude70:
Nick is doing a coaxial for me. He sent me the tube/end cap/mount. I test fitted and poked a hole in the end and had the NFA engraving done. Sent it back about week ago. Waiting my turn but excited to hear the results. Going to do a comparison between it and my Hybrid.

https://i.imgur.com/lhUIusG.jpg

View Quote

Very interested in that mounting system. Got any more pictures?

What tube OD and length?

What size socket for end cap?

What calibers you planning on using it on?
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 7:55:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chargerdude70] [#2]
Originally Posted By MSUbulldog21:

Very interested in that mounting system. Got any more pictures?

What tube OD and length?

What size socket for end cap?

What calibers you planning on using it on?
View Quote

1 3/4 X 8” all Titanium build. It’s a Griffin  3 lug mount and will be dedicated to my MP5 9mm

Edit: Nick made that mount that way because the 3 lug is spring loaded and had to be caged for the preload.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
A look behind the scenes, many thanks for this Nick!

Look closely at ARFCOM on the computer

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MSUbulldog21:
Shaping up to be a beautiful shop Nick! Congratulations!
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump for Nick! Should be any day to see mine getting done!

I have been saving my 5.56 for the day I get it back haha.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#6]
FINALLY IT IS IN THE MAIL!!!!!
Attachment Attached File

Thanks again a ton Nick!
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
5.25 in three lug 9mm can.  Shipped to Ecco on 9/6/19.  Back in my hands 9/16/19.  7 business days including shipping.

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Hell yea! Guess Nick has the new shop running smoothly. Looks great.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:13:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixtysixdeuce] [#9]
Originally Posted By Cowbell:

Hell yea! Guess Nick has the new shop running smoothly. Looks great.
View Quote

Look at his dates again; that was a year ago.  We got absolutely hammered this spring, gonna be playing catch up for awhile with the time that had to be devoted to the shop completion and move.  I'm still trying to get done some service and upgrades on machines that I had put off due to difficulty accomplishing those tasks in my small shop, as well as getting a couple other machines going; a massive 9 HP, 6,000 pound Pedersen unimill that had been sitting idle with no room to use it until now, and a HArdinge HLV that I just picked up to replace the little Atlas 618 for secondary ops now that I have the space (and I couldn't walk away from an HLV for $2k even when it needs some love).  In the long run, these machines will improve efficiency, but there's a time investment in reconditioning and updating used equipment for professional use.

This is the Pedersen:

Taking full flute length passes .500" deep with a 1" end mill at about 15 IPM, this brute didn't even grunt

The Hardinge HLV is going to make finish work on parts a lot quicker and less aggravating than the wiggly little Atlas.  It had been in a building that caught fire, so tons of rust & smoke damage:

But with a lot of elbow grease, my wife and I were able to bring it back quite well

I had to make a new pivot for the lead screw clutch, and still have to make a brake pedal for it (they were orignally electronically braked, but the solenoid is gone, and I'd rather have a mechanical pedal anyway) and affix the new vari drive hand wheel when it shows up.  Then it's just getting a 6 jaw on it and wiring it in it's permanent location.

I also have bearings & belts on the way for my other Hardinge (an HCT) that I use for barrel threading.  I knew that was needed, but it was still producing good finishes, so I put it off.  It got to the point where now I have to be very selective with RPM and take shallow cuts to avoid chatter, so I placed the $656 order for 2 bearings and two belts, then get to spend the better part of a day installing them.

So, yeah, we're still cranking 12+ hours per day, but not yet at the point where all of those hours are spent on cans & guns.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats on the new shop Nick!
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#11]
All that paint and polish adds a lot of time, but in the end when it's done it will add productivity just due to the emotional attachment that you made this happen.  Looking great!
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:29:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixtysixdeuce] [#12]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
All that paint and polish adds a lot of time, but in the end when it's done it will add productivity just due to the emotional attachment that you made this happen.  Looking great!
View Quote

It's not too bad.  I don't strip the finish, and generally don't tear the machines down any further than I need to for functional repairs/service.  I use scotch brite and mineral spirits to get the nasty off, spend a few minutes feathering out the badly chipped areas, wipe down with wax & grease remover, then mask & spray.  

On that note, while nasty looking machines and a dirty shop don't necessarily affect products, they do affect perception.  And I can't stand filth anyway.  The clutter and dirty corners in my little shop drove me nuts, but it was just so jam packed that thorough cleaning was much more than a chore.  Now I can actually get under & around the machines without having to move 13 other things first.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Sixtysixdeuce:

It's not too bad.  I don't strip the finish, and generally don't tear the machines down any further than I need to for functional repairs/service.  I use scotch brite and mineral spirits to get the nasty off, spend a few minutes feathering out the badly chipped areas, wipe down with wax & grease remover, then mask & spray.  

View Quote

As a former paint and body guy, you just said a mouthful!  I just bought a used rear spoiler for my 2015 Mustang.  Spoiler is off a 2019. I had to completely disassemble it, remove all the old butyl rubber adhesive they used, clean it and then wet sand it.   I realized afterwards that if I had dropped this off at a shop, I would have paid 5X in labor over the cost of a new one in the raw.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#14]

As a former paint and body guy, you just said a mouthful!  I just bought a used rear spoiler for my 2015 Mustang.  Spoiler is off a 2019. I had to completely disassemble it, remove all the old butyl rubber adhesive they used, clean it and then wet sand it.   I realized afterwards that if I had dropped this off at a shop, I would have paid 5X in labor over the cost of a new one in the raw.
View Quote

Good body guys are almost as expensive as attorneys.  It's an art, one that I don't possess the feel (or patience) for.  I can't stand waiting for things to dry/set/cure.  My dad was a cabinet maker, soooooo much time waiting on glue or varnish.  Nope!  Not for me.  I get annoyed waiting the 1.5 hours for 17-4 with oven warm-up, soak time and cool down.  Usually just time operations so I can be doing other things during that period.

We had about 8 hours in the "unnecessary" beautification aspects, about another 14 in requisite reconditioning & repair.   Got it all done over the weekend, and my hands are still a wreck from the grasping of scotch brite pads/sandpaper and all the solvents, as it was just too uncomfortable to wear gloves for the most part.  That's the other thing that's hurting my efficency right now; it's been in the 90s for weeks now, makes me a bit lethargic, and I have to take the gloves off and let my hands dry out frequently through the day.  That's what I'm doing right now.  But the nitriles are necessary between the coolant and the little bit of protection they provide from sharp chips.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Sixtysixdeuce:

Look at his dates again; that was a year ago.  We got absolutely hammered this spring, gonna be playing catch up for awhile with the time that had to be devoted to the shop completion and move.  I'm still trying to get done some service and upgrades on machines that I had put off due to difficulty accomplishing those tasks in my small shop, as well as getting a couple other machines going; a massive 9 HP, 6,000 pound Pedersen unimill that had been sitting idle with no room to use it until now, and a HArdinge HLV that I just picked up to replace the little Atlas 618 for secondary ops now that I have the space (and I couldn't walk away from an HLV for $2k even when it needs some love).  In the long run, these machines will improve efficiency, but there's a time investment in reconditioning and updating used equipment for professional use.

This is the Pedersen:

https://i.imgur.com/gmNmeBm.jpg

Taking full flute length passes .500" deep with a 1" end mill at about 15 IPM, this brute didn't even grunt

https://i.imgur.com/Vf7FpnC.jpg

The Hardinge HLV is going to make finish work on parts a lot quicker and less aggravating than the wiggly little Atlas.  It had been in a building that caught fire, so tons of rust & smoke damage:

https://i.imgur.com/aGWkbrz.jpg

But with a lot of elbow grease, my wife and I were able to bring it back quite well

https://i.imgur.com/YKWr3dI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fq14q8n.jpg

I had to make a new pivot for the lead screw clutch, and still have to make a brake pedal for it (they were orignally electronically braked, but the solenoid is gone, and I'd rather have a mechanical pedal anyway) and affix the new vari drive hand wheel when it shows up.  Then it's just getting a 6 jaw on it and wiring it in it's permanent location.

I also have bearings & belts on the way for my other Hardinge (an HCT) that I use for barrel threading.  I knew that was needed, but it was still producing good finishes, so I put it off.  It got to the point where now I have to be very selective with RPM and take shallow cuts to avoid chatter, so I placed the $656 order for 2 bearings and two belts, then get to spend the better part of a day installing them.

So, yeah, we're still cranking 12+ hours per day, but not yet at the point where all of those hours are spent on cans & guns.
View Quote

Yes, this was a while back.  Just now noticed this thread so I added it.  I couldn't be more impressed with the workmanship and communication.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 7:12:02 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

That’s a clever jig

Now, as far as finishing I see you guys talking about resin.  Assuming this is similar to cerakote?

Has anyone ever tried black ion bond on their Ti parts?   It’s a plasma vapor deposition Process  I think, since you cannot get a black anodized finish on Ti.  It’s used to make the American Express Black Centurion card, also some other Ti gun parts.    But as far as durability and how it would work out on something that can get very hot like a can - I’ve no idea.

Link Posted: 8/29/2020 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
I'm really happy with my ECCO conversions

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20191023_174128-1135376.jpg
View Quote

Is that second from the right can an AAC 7.62? I'd like to know more about the conversion if it is. I hate the attachment on my 18t mounts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Oh look and you woth links and stuff. Adorable.

(Seriously. Thank you.)
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#21]

F1 recore from ECCO showed up today. Fantastic work!!  I need to find some time for a range day soon to try this guy out!
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Out of curiosity how long did you have to wait?  Trying to gauge where I'm at in line.  Got on the list for a recore at the begining of August.  Waiting to get the call to send my can in.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#23]
It took about 12 weeks. But most of that time was during the shop relocation he has been documenting on the Facebook page and here.
From the time he called about starting my can to delivery at my house was 7 days. Incredibly fast and great work. I’ll take 12 weeks over 12 months every time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DaBean:
It took about 12 weeks. But most of that time was during the shop relocation he has been documenting on the Facebook page and here.
From the time he called about starting my can to delivery at my house was 7 days. Incredibly fast and great work. I’ll take 12 weeks over 12 months every time.
View Quote

Thanks, good info.  I wasn't sure how far ahead they have you ship it in.  I'm at about 6 weeks and he said he was at about 8-12 weeks lead time so I figured it'd be a bit yet.  Just hoping to get it back prior to Wi gun deer season.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:50:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I haven't called ECCO yet, and haven't even filed a F1, but the work he's doing that you guys are posting.... Wow. It's art.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 3:47:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
I haven't called ECCO yet, and haven't even filed a F1, but the work he's doing that you guys are posting.... Wow. It's art.
View Quote

Some more art:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#28]
@Sixtysixdeuce

Did you change your email address?  I sent you a question earlier in the week asking about current wait times and input on a 9mm build for a Glock 17. Trying to decide which route is best to go at this time.  I hate the idea of another Form 4 wait.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#29]

who welded them together?
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

who welded them together?
View Quote

ECCO
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 4:51:38 AM EDT
[#32]
@Sixtysixdeuce

Did you change your email address?  I sent you a question earlier in the week asking about current wait times and input on a 9mm build for a Glock 17. Trying to decide which route is best to go at this time.  I hate the idea of another Form 4 wait.
View Quote

I emailed him a few weeks back about a build for a full auto rated 9mm can and he said he only doing recores now due to workload.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks.  I just threw in the towel and bought an Innovative Arms can from them since they are local.  Just gotta play the wait game now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:
Just a reminder:  We are happy to ship any parts to ECCO on your behalf.  
View Quote

No shit. That's pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 1:11:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11b4v] [#36]
sixtysixduece;

What’s the possibility of converting/mating my old AAC Omni to a Griffin Armament M4SD Blast can???

Hope it would shave some weight as well

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#37]
From the ECCO facebook page:

Usually people want the natural deep bronze finish of 17-4 PH or a moly resin finish, but this customer wanted the pair of M15x1.0 direct thread adapters he had me make to closely match the Rex Silentium cans they're going in, so they got bead blasted before heat treatment to yield this purplish brown color. I kinda like it myself!

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone get a recore back recently?  Been on the wait list since first week of August.  Was originally quoted 8-12 week lead time.  Just trying to get an idea of how much longer I have based on others recent wait times.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Nick did a nice job threading my Ruger mk II pistol, with internal threads and an adapter.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:01:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Has anyone compared and contrasted JK Armament with ECCO ?
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By can-man:
Has anyone compared and contrasted JK Armament with ECCO ?
View Quote

There’s really no comparison. That JK armament stuff should be sold as rimfire only.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Got the text from Nick last night. She is done. 1.75 X 8 co-axial tri-lug for my MP5/K’s. Will test when arrives and report.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Got the text from Nick last night. She is done. 1.75 X 8 co-axial tri-lug for my MP5/K’s. Will test when arrives and report.

https://i.imgur.com/EK6jiol.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/x8Gxl86.jpg
View Quote

She's a beaut! Congratulations...
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#44]

https://i.imgur.com/EK6jiol.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/x8Gxl86.jpg
View Quote

How long did this take, meaning total time since you got on the list?
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

FWIW...a buddy of mine I referred to ECCO told me on Monday that the call-back queue is for mid-2021 at this point.
View Quote

I got on the list the first week of August and was told 8-12 weeks.  It's been about 20 weeks now.  I asked a few weeks ago and had only moved like 3 spots.  If I have to wait so be it since his work looks awesome.  I just wish I had some sort of accurate time frame.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I need to get on the list for another rimfire can.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Nick had my core since beginning of Aug. with that said, I also told him I was in no hurry so others may have gone in before mine. I too was told he is booked until mid next year if I wanted something else.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Is the backlog just from Arfcom guys?  I've been out of the loop for a while and the last time I spoke with him which was earlier this year he said 3-5 weeks.  Weird.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By tmsteinhardt:

I got on the list the first week of August and was told 8-12 weeks.  It's been about 20 weeks now.  I asked a few weeks ago and had only moved like 3 spots.  If I have to wait so be it since his work looks awesome.  I just wish I had some sort of accurate time frame.
View Quote

August was a total loss with moving the shop and setting up.

As far as the queue having been stagnant for some time, we had over 80 cans here for recores when we decided to initiate that system to reduce the number that we had physically in the shop at any given time.  We did not start calling people to bring in more until we got under 20 on the shelf, which took about 3 months.  It is moving now, but in the immediate future, holidays do make a mess of things, and we're also in the midst of a personal matter concerning one of my children that has commanded a great deal of our time the last couple weeks.  For most people working normal 35-50 hour weeks, personal matters & work can be balanced better.  I work an average of 68 hours per week, and that does not include responding to emails and messages on Facebook & bulletin boards, so when demanding personal matters come up, it does sometimes detract from the number of hours I'm able to put in making parts.  Regrettably, I have not figured out how to add any hours to the day or days to the week.

I do apologize to everyone who has been waiting.  I always try to accurately estimate timeframes, but the dynamic of the business has been in a constant state of flux, so it has not been easy to nail down exactly how much of each category of service I'll be able to get done in a given period.  A year ago, we were taking in 6 or 8 mount conversions per month with no backlog.  I'm presently doing 20-25 monthly with more than 200 waiting.  We did buy a CNC lathe this year to increase productivity, but there have been many issues getting that going, from not knowing how to program it to needing parts to needing a registration with Mazak to even obtain parts & service.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top