Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2017 9:41:15 PM EDT
I've spent a good portion of this evening looking through various forums for intel on what it would take to successfully built a form 1 for the 450b.  There sure doesn't seem to be much out there for the 450.  I've found several good builds related to the 458 Socom but my gut tells me I won't need near the volume capacity for the 450.

Can anyone point me to some solid form 1 threads or any information for that matter?  I'd greatly appreciate any input!

After re-reading my post-  Here are the questions I'm most concerned with now:

1.) What metals hold up to the pressures of the 450?  Seems like all would considering 556 is almost double the max psi.
2.) Ideal Length and ID
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I did a 8x1.625 Ti DM build.  There is a thread on the form1 board.  Search "big bore".  I have not used it with .450, but I'm sure it would not blow up.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#2]
The Bowers VERS 458 is 11.25"L and has a 1.75"OD. I think if you kept the 1.75"OD you could get it down to around 9-10" and have a pleasing product. Simple cone baffles will definitely do the job and keep it nice and simple.

The 450 Bushmaster has a greater max psi than the 458 Socom and they are within 3% of case capacity. This should tell you that you'll have more gas volume, and higher muzzle pressure, (w/ same length barrels) in the 450. If you're only loading SS ammo, you'll be about the same (with equal weight bullets).
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I was actually toying with the idea of a Bowers.  It appears to be such a simple design for such a steep price.  I'll attempt this first!

Obviously I'm new to the suppressor concept.  Helped a friend make a form 1 for a 5.56 a while back but he already had the design put together.  

A few hopefully basic questions-

1.)  Regarding the blast chamber-  is there a scientific way to determine the size of said chamber?
2.)  Muzzle device- I'm looking at the TI DM tubes coupled with an ASR mount.  Are these mounts compatible with any caliber and pressures assuming the threads match the barrel?
3.)  Baffle construction-  With the pressures of the 450,  what sort of baffles(ti, stainless,etc) should be a requirement?
4.)  Cone baffles-  to clip or not to clip?

Thank you for the responses.  I'm starting to get somewhere with this.  Moving forward with this form 1.  Going to draw up plans and start the paperwork this weekend!
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#4]
1. Best bet is to look at completed builds and get a feel for common practice. Double checking your wall thickness and chamber volume to muzzle pressure is a good idea, just to be safe.
2. I'm not familiar with any of those. Just make sure it's bored for your caliber and pitch matches barrel, in that order.
3. You could use any metal really. I prefer to mix it up. SS closer to muzzle and Ti or Al for the rest.
4. I've only ever not clipped 1 build. It was for a rifle averaging 600+yd shots. I was worried about POI and so I left them alone. So, I clip everything (now).

You don't need a design to start a form1. Caliber and length is it. Say 450, 458, 50cal whatever, and you could put 20" if you want. When you get approved and finish building,  just send ATF a letter with the amended length (being shorter than 20"). 20" is just an exaggerated example.  You can put 11" and build to 10.5", if you feel more comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:11:57 AM EDT
[#5]
My Beowulf can is 9x1.75", has 8 cones. Came from DM, cut to use bowers Vers-adapt adapters(allows can to be used on more hosts). It is a large can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top