Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2017 3:50:57 PM EDT
So Gemtech just came out with the Aurora II suppressor which is dual threaded. One end is threaded 1/2x28, while the other is 13.5 LH. Anyone ever tried building a form 1 can like this?

My thoughts are that one end cap could be threaded for 1/2x28, while the other could have an ACME thread for QD muzzle devices. I know that baffles are designed to work one way, but you could switch the end caps to different sides depending on what you would need.

My concerns would be that the suppressor may be a little louder with a larger end cap, and that the opposite side threads may become fouled or erode after prolonged shooting.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Flexibility will likely cost in suppression effectiveness just like it does to some degree when using a larger endcap for smaller caliber (e.g., .30 for .223), but it is a cool idea and what's a few decibels among friends?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The Aurora will be a limited use can, but I would have to think you would see thread erosion. Perhaps Gemtech will thread in SS threaded adapters to prolong threads.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Id be less concerned with the bore diam, and more concerned about having to use flat baffles.
Bore diam isn't that important compared with baffle design.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Only problem I see with what you're suggesting is the threads at the muzzle end of the can will get carbon buildup. Other than that I don't see why you couldn't do this. 
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#5]
If I were making it, I'd made a thread protector that screwed into the unused side. It would keep carbon off the threads as well as having a smaller exit hole for better suppression.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Baffle orientation would be a problem as alluded to earlier. I don't think the exit hole size would be a problem as it would be about the same size anyway.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Just remove the baffles, flip and install or just switch endcap end to end.
Bored size will cost a few dB along with the longer muzzle end tunnel.
I guess technically it would work but it would be less than ideal. Why wouldn't you just use a tri lug, qd or similar mounting solution for different barrel threads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top