Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2017 12:46:42 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with ZmachineworX?

https://zmachineworx.com/

Is their stuff good? How nice is the fit? Which size should I get for a SDTactical Ti tube? Can you mix and match stainless and ti cones?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If I remember correctly he is a member here.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used there SS cones and will say very nice quality and will be ordering more when ready to start my next can.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#4]
His stuff is great.  If you have an SD tube measure the ID before ordering.  You'll need either the 1.355s or the 1.347s depending on ID of your tube.  SD Ti tubes are supposed to be 1.360, but there's a lot of variation.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I got SS cones from him, super pleased, fast shipping too. I got them on Black Friday and it knocked a couple bucks off each cone.

Freshly clipped:

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
His stuff is great.  If you have an SD tube measure the ID before ordering.  You'll need either the 1.355s or the 1.347s depending on ID of your tube.  SD Ti tubes are supposed to be 1.360, but there's a lot of variation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for this. Great info.

Quoted:
I got SS cones from him, super pleased, fast shipping too. I got them on Black Friday and it knocked a couple bucks off each cone.

Freshly clipped

How did you clip yours?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]
They are excellent quality, usually notched with a endmill to answer question above, can be notched with a drill press, mill or carefully with a Dremel.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for this. Great info.

How did you clip yours?
View Quote

sorry for shaky vid; this was with a milling machine

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Extremely well made. IIRC the 1.355" cones are for the SD tubes. He recommends using DM tubes because the ID is consistent while SD tubes are not always.
View Quote

I've heard this because early in the SDTA tube's ID was not machined. I'd also recommend DM tubes with ZMW cones as well.

ETA photo -

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've heard this because early in the SDTA tube's ID was not machined.
View Quote
Still isn't.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#11]
One question Op asked and no one answered, can you mix/match?

Yes, many use 17-4 for the first couple cones (blast baffles nearest the muzzle) and then switch to the lighter Titanium for the rest.

Make your life easier, and save yourself some aggravation and buy a DM tube from the start.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, many use 17-4 for the first couple cones (blast baffles nearest the muzzle) and then switch to the lighter Titanium for the rest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes and it is done all the time.

Quoted:
Make your life easier, and save yourself some aggravation and buy a DM tube from the start.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#13]
DM tube and ZmachineWorx cones here as well. Fit and finish on both are perfect, I also got in on the Black Friday sale at Zmachine.
Now to just wait on the stamps to come back...
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 4:08:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Waiting for another sale from them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Waiting for another sale from them.
View Quote

It's go time.

Code is "springfever".
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any experience with ZmachineworX?

https://zmachineworx.com/

Is their stuff good? How nice is the fit? Which size should I get for a SDTactical Ti tube? Can you mix and match stainless and ti cones?
View Quote

In order

Yes I do.

Yes it is.

If you order the correct size the parts have maybe .0015 clearance all around.

Don't know which size SD tube you are referring to.

And yes you can mix and match ss with ti I have and they fit fine.

Some reccomendations. Buy your spacers from Diversified Machine or you will be dissapointed. Same goes with your end caps if you want to be able to use a spanner to remove them unless you plan on making your own spanner holes in the parts you buy elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can buy the tube from DM I got mine from SD because it was the cheapest way to get a tube and have it engraved. And I experienced 0% regret with this decision. Only thing is if you do that I reccomend waiting to get your tube before your order your cones incase there are dimensional issues but mine was perfectly sized for standard D size cones.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I got a Ti tube from Crosshair Customs and used the 1.355" cones, perfect fit. I did two stainless and then the rest Ti. I am very happy with the cones. As mentioned, I'd get your tube in first, measure, then order cones. The differences may be tiny but they matter. If you're a touch too big for one size you can use a brake hone to make the larger ones fit. It isn't like you'll be removing much if the next size down didn't fit.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Same goes with your end caps if you want to be able to use a spanner to remove them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Same goes with your end caps if you want to be able to use a spanner to remove them
can you link me an ideal wrench/spanner to be used with dm endcaps?

Quoted:
His stuff is great.  If you have an SD tube measure the ID before ordering. 
HUGE thank you! I was set on ordering the larger size after some research, but I followed your advice and measured first. So glad I did, turns out I needed the smaller 1.347" size. I ordered 6 of the brand new titanium "radial" type cones, and one stainless steel one for my blast baffle. The fit is PERFECT. When I remove them from the tube it creates a small vacuum effect... very nice. My only regret is I missed the spring discount code

I'll try to update with pics once these are drilled. Gonna drill these out to 40cal spec probably, want a little overbore for sloppy AK's. Probably gonna go with a 2" blast baffle for use on my 9" 7.62X39 krink. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's blocked here at work, but the Draco from Super Precision Concepts.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wow, definitely gonna have to get one of these

Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Reviving this thread to ask... How many of the 1.347" cones will fit in a 7.6" crosshair customs tube?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Reviving this thread to ask... How many of the 1.347" cones will fit in a 7.6" crosshair customs tube?
View Quote
Based on dimensions shown on Zmachineworx site.

Each cone takes up .669" stacked with first cone taking up 1.396" (cone protrudes 0.727").
0.669" x 6 + 1.396" x 1 = 5.41"
Assume endcap & tailcap use internal tube length of 0.435" x 2 = 0.87"

Distance cone #1 to tailcap inside tube = 7.6" - 5.41" - 0.87" = 1.32"
Remember cone #1 protrudes 0.727" so add that back in to overall spacer length of 1.32" + 0.727" = 2.047"

7 cones

Best of luck.

You're welcome..........
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Based on dimensions shown on Zmachineworx site.

Each cone takes up .669" stacked with first cone taking up 1.396" (cone protrudes 0.727").
0.669" x 6 + 1.396" x 1 = 5.41"
Assume endcap & tailcap use internal tube length of 0.435" x 2 = 0.87"

Distance cone #1 to tailcap inside tube = 7.6" - 5.41" - 0.87" = 1.32"
Remember cone #1 protrudes 0.727" so add that back in to overall spacer length of 1.32" + 0.727" = 2.047"

7 cones

Best of luck.

You're welcome..........
View Quote
Thank you very much! I looked everywhere and didn't see the specs for them stacked or I would have done the work myself. I really appreciate the help
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just an AR15 barrel nut wrench... you may already have one.   Cool as it may be, you don't need a special wrench.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#26]
How about a hand with my 7" Apogee tube. Would 6 cones leave me enough of a blast chamber?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How about a hand with my 7" Apogee tube. Would 6 cones leave me enough of a blast chamber?
View Quote
Each cone has a .669" skirt.

Assuming a threaded endcap for an Apogee unit uses .435" and backcap uses .435" internally..........

6 x .669" = 4.014"

Blast chamber spacer would be 7.00" - .435" - .435" - 4.014" = 2.116"

FYI - The blast chamber cone protrudes .727" from the skirt.

FYI - Diversified Machine endcaps use .500" internally.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Would a Griffin taper muzzle brake and a super precision concepts taper adapter work? Thanks again
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Would a Griffin taper muzzle brake and a super precision concepts taper adapter work? Thanks again
View Quote
Yes, the SPC is designed to fit Griffin taper mounts.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:41:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks again
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I was going to start a thread, but this post seems like it is full of what I am looking for.

I got a 7" tube (1.5od x 1.375 id) and end caps from DM a few years ago (I guess he has a website now), form 1 approved, and I bought a house and never finished my can. People make cones even looking on here! That is awesome. Anyways, I ordered it with the griffin adapter and will probably go with the paladin 2 brake (I still haven't ordered that).  

To get to my question, if I were to order from ZM, about how many cones would I need? 6? I was going to draw it up in cad, but I don't have the tube and end caps with me, nor do I have the brake.

This is for a 300blk with a 10.5 inch barrel.

Should I go with a different brake?

Did DM change his thread pitch in the past few years so if I decide to go with a direct thread before I finish the can I won't cross thread?

Thanks for any info in advance. This was my first form 1 and a few years later I hope to finish it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was going to start a thread, but this post seems like it is full of what I am looking for.

I got a 7" tube (1.5od x 1.375 id) and end caps from DM a few years ago (I guess he has a website now), form 1 approved, and I bought a house and never finished my can. People make cones even looking on here! That is awesome. Anyways, I ordered it with the griffin adapter and will probably go with the paladin 2 brake (I still haven't ordered that).  

To get to my question, if I were to order from ZM, about how many cones would I need? 6? I was going to draw it up in cad, but I don't have the tube and end caps with me, nor do I have the brake.

This is for a 300blk with a 10.5 inch barrel.

Should I go with a different brake?

Did DM change his thread pitch in the past few years so if I decide to go with a direct thread before I finish the can I won't cross thread?

Thanks for any info in advance. This was my first form 1 and a few years later I hope to finish it.
View Quote
The endcaps take up 0.42" of the internal space per cap.  6 cones will be 4.77". That should leave you with 1.39" between the tip of the cone and the end of the tube.  Don't know if that's enough for the Paladin or not.

DM is still using 24 tpi for all of his tubes.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The endcaps take up 0.42" of the internal space per cap.  6 cones will be 4.77". That should leave you with 1.39" between the tip of the cone and the end of the tube.  Don't know if that's enough for the Paladin or not.

DM is still using 24 tpi for all of his tubes.
View Quote
thanks, yeah I started laying it out. I am going to go with the minimalist. This will give me the space I need.

Thank you for the info!
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Damn, wasn't even thinking, missed the Black Friday sale.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Been sitting on four F1 approvals since summer. Zmachineworks BF sale got me for (hopefully) enough baffles to complete all four.

Top two in each stack are stainless, everything else is titanium.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Been sitting on four F1 approvals since summer. Zmachineworks BF sale got me for (hopefully) enough baffles to complete all four.

Top two in each stack are stainless, everything else is titanium.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23126/IMG_20171129_163401-376217.JPG
View Quote
@Eagle_19er

Those look awesome! Which cones on the left? I am still debating which cones to use in my build, but those look like a good fit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@Eagle_19er

Those look awesome! Which cones on the left? I am still debating which cones to use in my build, but those look like a good fit.
View Quote
They're 1.347" radials to go into DM ASR tubes. Top two in the pic are SS, bottom 5 are titanium.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top