Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2016 10:36:18 AM EDT
Full disclosure, we legalized suppressors in VT last year and the company making these cores brought me on as an advisor.  Delete if this isn't ok.

http://sdtacticalarms.com/APPROVED-FORM-1-RECOREREPAIR_p_110.html
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty decent. Is there an additional charge to have the parts swapped or is it that the total price?

Not a huge fan of the exit end design. I understand why it was done this way, but there's room for an additional baffle there.
That's for Rev2
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Full disclosure, we legalized suppressors in VT last year and the company making these cores brought me on as an advisor.  Delete if this isn't ok.

http://sdtacticalarms.com/APPROVED-FORM-1-RECOREREPAIR_p_110.html
View Quote

He has gone through a couple revisions and things have gotten better.  It's a good source for the freeze plug cans that get shot out really quick to have a legal way to repair them.  [email protected] or (802) 535-4751 appears to be the direct contact

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#3]
what's the weight?  titanium in the future?
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I did a review over on the SD Tactical Forum, but I don't know if you have to join the board to read it, so I reposted it here.

Bottom Line Up Front: I think it's a great option if you have a FP-based can that's under-performing, or you just want to repair.

=================================

I noticed SD Tactical Arms was advertising a Form 1 Recore/Repair option performed by Sirearms using a monocore replacement. The design is built around the SD Tactical muzzle brake, and it you don't have to add the muzzle brake and thread protector, the cost is $250, plus shipping both ways.  I already had the thread protector and muzzle brake, so my total cost was $250 + ~$12 shipping, or ~$262.  Turn around time is advertised as "2-4 weeks."

Here's the verbiage from the ad:

Designed and produced by SIREARMS specifically around the SD Tactical Arms tubes and accessories, this monocore allows SIREARMS to quickly repair a customer’s completed Form 1 suppressor with a high quality monocore. Simply send a complete suppressor to SIREARMS to be repaired.

Available in 5.56, 7.62, 9, .40, and .45 (must match Form 1)

OSHA hearing safe for most calibers up to supersonic 7.62x51mm NATO

Stainless Steel Billet Construction

Compatible with SD Tactical 7.6 Titanium Tube

Compatible with SD Tactical 7.5 Stainless Tube (additional charge)

Manufactured in ISO 9001:2008 compliant facility

Made in the USA

*COMPLETE AND APPROVED suppressor with baffles must be sent to SIREARMS

*Muzzle Brake and Thread Adaptor NOT included.

*To be used ONLY with the SDTA Muzzle Brake. Using without brake could result in mechanical damage.
View Quote

I liked the sound of it based on reasons I'll discuss below. I have a Form 1 can built on a SD Tactical Ti D-tube, built with freeze plugs. I went with the monocore for ease and price. For $250, I can replace a bunch of shitty FPs that threw my POI all over with a machined, "factory" monocore. There are some excellent 60deg cone design on the market, but I have limited resources to bore them exactly, and even though 60 deg cones may be a bit quieter, I want this to be a long-term successful undertaking. So, for me, it made sense. It's not the choice for everyone.

Here's a couple of shots from my existing can:

Sound suppression was surprisingly good, but POI shift was significant, and non-repeatable, and I had at least two end-cap strikes.

Faced with either living with a can that was unreliable at best or damn-near dangerous at worst, the idea of a ready-made recore/repair solution made a lot of sense.

The procedure is to pay for the repair service at SD Tactical Arms site (sorry, .mil's, no discount on this), and they send you a receipt/acknowledgement and instructions on where to send the can.

I boxed up my can (complete with internals and endcaps), a copy of the receipt, a copy of my approved Form 1, a letter with contact info, etc. and sent it all off to Sirearms (West Burke, VT) on 9/9/16 (Friday).  They received it on 9/12/16 (Monday).  I settled in for a "2-4 week" wait.

On 9/21/16 there was a package in my mailbox.  It came back so fast I was worried there was a problem.  Had I not included the right stuff?  Problem with the tube?

Nope.  12 days after I put the can in my mailbox, I had this back in my mailbox:

First impressions:  this is a nicely machined monocore, and the whole can is executed beautifully.

Looking from the far end.  Note the wrench cuts machined into the edge:

Disassembled:

The monocore:

The entire can now weighs just over 18 oz

The monocore clocks in at 8.92 oz

The Ti tube contributes 6 oz

Ti thread protector is under 2 oz

And the muzzle brake, which is really replacing a muzzle device on the rifle, is only and oz and a half:

End-to-end (including the brake shoulder) is just under 9"

And it looks pretty good on the end of the rifle

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet; I just got back home.  I might be able to get it out this weekend for a shootin' review.  Regardless, I'll update this review with "shots fired."

Overall:  I'm extremely happy with the decision.  It's a well-crafted repair/replacement, and turned my can from a "sit on the shelf" wasted Form 1 into something I can actually use.  Turn-around-time was insanely short--12 days mailbox to mailbox.  The finish on the monocore is excellent. 

If you're in my shoes, with an early "experiment" that didn't turn out the way you wanted, this is an economical, legal way to resurrect the can.  I can't recommend the option highly enough.

========================================

OK, so I got out to shoot the can today, and I was very pleased with the results.

I brought along an SJ4000 GoPro clone and set it up on a tripod.  The microphone is pretty good, but I don't have a db meter, so you'll have to use relative sound.  Make sure you have the volume up.

Beautiful day, shooting under a roofed enclosure, so you get some sound amplification, but I think it's a pretty fair test.

The rifle is a Rainier Arms upper with a 10.5" barrel

I shot:

Sig Sauer Elite .300BLK 220gr Subsonic

Gorilla Ammunition .300BLK 125gr Sierra Matchking

The sequence is:

5 rounds subsonic (Sig) UNSUPPRESSED
5 rounds supersonic (Gorilla) UNSUPRESSED
5 rounds subsonic (Sig) SUPPRESSED
5 rounds supersonic (Gorilla) SUPPRESSED
4 rounds subsonic (Sig) SUPPRESSED
4 rounds subsonic (Sig) SUPPRESSED (with my ears off)

I had irons sights, shooting at 100yd targets. I was mostly shooting for function and noise, but I noticed no POI shift, and you can hear a couple of gong hits when I switched to steel.

Overall, I'm very pleased.  I need to get the 'scope mounted so I can get some real accuracy measurement, but I'm very optimisitic.

Thanks to SD Tactical and Sirearms for making this option available.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll second the sire arms repair. I had a beat up baffle striked can with a stuck endcap they replaced and re finished. Only downside is i don't think it will work with the regular sized griffin brake only the minimalist. I still need the griffin adapter to test fire.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an engraved tube and unformed FP's, end cap, etc and was thinking of finally getting around to building everything but then saw this as an option (I was planning on going direct thread, so none of my existing parts would be used) Is it worth an extra $350 (minus any money I can recoup selling unused parts) over a FP based can?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you have him nudge SDTA to check their email so I can do something about my out of spec tube?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Will this core work with a pistol silencer with booster? I have a pistol can built on a SDTA 7.6" titanium tube with a Liberty booster and I've just about had it with trying to get it to work with stupid freeze plugs.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump, anyone have more info on this, thinking about having my 9mm can recored.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll second the sire arms repair. I had a beat up baffle striked can with a stuck endcap they replaced and re finished. Only downside is i don't think it will work with the regular sized griffin brake only the minimalist. I still need the griffin adapter to test fire.
View Quote
It sounds any bit as good as my trek and sportsmen. Well worth $250. Now I'm thinking about getting my ti tube done too.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I am sending my can off today hopefully, to sirearms for their repair, then in 2 weeks i should have it back :)
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#12]
The SDTA silencer I built is a 8" direct thread, and I don't use any muzzle brake on it. I just use a direct thread endcap. In order to get this conversion done, do I need to buy a SDTA muzzle brake and thread adapter? Or do they just make it long enough to be direct thread with my original endcap as it was before?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The SDTA silencer I built is a 8" direct thread, and I don't use any muzzle brake on it. I just use a direct thread endcap. In order to get this conversion done, do I need to buy a SDTA muzzle brake and thread adapter? Or do they just make it long enough to be direct thread with my original endcap as it was before?
View Quote
It depends what you're using it on, While not required for using the can (Per Sirearms) They recommend it for centerfire rifle cans. I called because I am using mine on a MP5SD with a K barrel and want to direct thread it, instead of using the muzzle brake with would add length to it and they said it was fine, they recommend the muzzle brake as a brake/blast baffle because some people are using these on HK51's and other rifle caliber SBR's.

Mine will be shipping back to me this week, cannot wait to shoot it :)
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Got it today, its pretty awesome, really lightened my can up too versus freezeplugs and other spacers inside the can.

Edit: A little bit louder than it was with the freezeplugs, however my can was very heavy before, Its a good compromise between weight and sound suppression.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can use your original endcap. They recommend a brake to act as a blast baffle to extend can life on shorter barrels and or larger calibers. My bet is you wont cause any noticable wear unless it sees heavy full auto use or super short barrels.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Honestly, I don't think I'd recommend it, I believe that my freezeplug build was quieter than this monocore.

Shot it more tonight and it seemed quieter? Maybe it needed a coating of carbon on everything, Its def geared towards supersonics though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top